topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Maxthon 2.0 Invitation  (Read 19954 times)

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Maxthon 2.0 Invitation
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2006, 03:48 PM »
I dunno if FireFox is that much more safe, but at least it's not targetted as much as IE... yet. The price to pay is of course bloat, sluggishness, slowness and high memory usage.
Ever considered Opera? I used FireFox before, but it was too darn slow. Opera showed me the way. Still not a perfect browser, but by far the best and most comfortable I've ever used. And it's fast, both starting up and surfing!

Oh, and unlike before, it's free now, as you probably know ;)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2006, 03:52 PM »
I like Opera, but there's some stuff I miss in it that FireFox has - like a better adblock and some few other things. If Opera had a plugin system, I probably wouldn't even look back at the fox.

Opera *is* a lot faster than the fox, both in loading and page rendering. Not as fast as IE, but decent enough. It does have a few places where it renders a bit weird, where both IE and the fox render okayish... can't remember the specific sites, I just remember bumping into a few things here and there thinking "hrm, poxy!".

The few things I don't like about Opera is stuff like alt+d not taking you to the address bar, and that they've built in both email and a torrent client in the browser... really ought to be separate apps.
- carpe noctem

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2006, 04:03 PM »
You do know you can customize the keys in opera right? alt d takes me to the address bar :)

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2006, 04:05 PM »
I think Opera is faster than IE in page rendering. I've seen statistics on this (don't have an url to back it up, so take it with a pinch of salt ;) ) proving that Opera is the fastest.

Keyboard Shortcuts are 100% user configurable. Of course :P

Opera has built in blocking, and although it's not automatic ala Firefox' AdBlocker it's good. And there are user scripts and user css files that automatically blocks ads.

I agree on the firefox plugins! Love apps with plugins/extensions/modules. The best way to keep a small and/or basic core with user deciding what else to add. On that note though, Opera can take user scripts (even most Firefox Greasemonkey scripts) which makes the little difference sometimes.

about the mail-client and torrent-client... well, I sorta agree. I use the M2 client myself (Opera's built in) which is the closest I've come to the mail-client I want (I've tried tons...). I don't use the torrent client, and don't notice it, since it's disabled. Don't think it affects the general speed of Opera, either...

Sorry to topic starter for stealing the thread, btw...

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2006, 10:25 AM »
You do know you can customize the keys in opera right? alt d takes me to the address bar :)
-Josh
Hm, I've always missed that feature when I searched for it - heh.

I think Opera is faster than IE in page rendering. I've seen statistics on this (don't have an url to back it up, so take it with a pinch of salt ;) ) proving that Opera is the fastest.
-TucknDar
It might be - especially if you're comparing it to IE with "smooth scrolling" turned on. Both render to bitmaps which are then scrolled around, though, instead of continuously re-rendering. IE is still a wee bit faster than Opera in startup time, though.

Opera has built in blocking, and although it's not automatic ala Firefox' AdBlocker it's good. And there are user scripts and user css files that automatically blocks ads.
Alas, Opera's built in blocking isn't nearly as good as adblock :(

- carpe noctem

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2006, 10:54 AM »
Have you tried ad muncher? Its not browser specific and works with other apps as well

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2006, 10:59 AM »
Have you tried ad muncher? Its not browser specific and works with other apps as well
Hm, it works by winsock interception, doesn't it? I'm not too fond of that method. I guess I should give it a try again though, it's been quite some years since I played with it last.

It used to include some of my code, btw, for protection/obfuscation... it was applied incorrectly, though, so it slowed down things a lot and was removed again. Just a piece of useless trivia :)
- carpe noctem