topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Issues with ERAM (An Open Source RAM Disk Driver) and its CPL  (Read 5845 times)

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
1. I managed to fix its BSODs thanks to a member of community.osr.com but now after removing the 4 GB limit it has in place and using a 6 GB drive, I get BSODs when trying to copy files 2 GB or greater in size to it. One of the BSODs I get is one that mentions it trying to access memory that was set to be read-only. The source code and instructions for compiling it are available at https://github.com/Zero3K/ERAM/ and the Pull Request containing the modifications I did to remove the limit (along with a link to an analysis of the BSOD I mentioned) can be found at https://github.com/Zero3K/ERAM/pull/10.

2. Regarding its CPL (which is used to configure it), I tried to compile it using Visual Studio 2017 Community but have ran into some "unresolved external symbols" errors which you can see by going to https://pastebin.com/HCv1WW3M.

3. I compiled the CPL using WDK 7.1.0 and isn't working in Windows Server 2003, etc (It shows up in the list of Control Panel Applets but nothing happens when double-clicked on).

How do I fix one or more of those issues?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 07:07 PM by Zero3K »

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Issues with ERAM (An Open Source RAM Disk Driver) and its CPL
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 08:09 AM »
I get BSODs when trying to copy files 2 GB or greater in size to it.
You need to code in 64bit to have access to larger file operations without further problems.
2GB is 32bit limit, you can not increase that value on its own, you only could workaround by reading/writing in chunks and not as one whole mapped memory block or as mentioned before, 64bit....

> I have not looked your source <

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 08:19 AM »
I was slightly wrong, you actual can increase to 2.5/3GB by setting PE flags.
I need to look how I did it within my beloved Delphi if you like to get that information.
But I really dont know if that is possible with a System Driver..... I am very unsure/sceptic!

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 02:40 PM »
1. I managed to compile it with Visual Studio 2017. The 64-bit driver that is made as a result isn't working in Windows 7 (but it does work in Windows 10).
2. The 64-bit version does allow a 4 GB RAM Disk to be made.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 02:56 PM by Zero3K »

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 02:58 PM »
1. I managed to compile it with Visual Studio 2017. The 64-bit driver that is made as a result isn't working (but the 32-bit one does).
2. The 64-bit version does allow a 4 GB RAM Disk to be made.
I really have no idea what you said.
VStudio I do not own so a "The 64-bit driver that is made as a result isn't working" with a followed "The 64-bit version does allow a 4 GB RAM Disk to be made" sound a bit wierd information.

If you need help, I sure can assist with knowledge, but i will not install that piece of software.
When you tell whats not working, giving some text passages from source to describe where you stuck, then i could more help.
When you encounter problems with 64bit, you should be sure that your program is using proper types and calls and memory settings to work with 64bit. Especialy pointer operations are very sensible with 64bit.
Just tell compiler to compile as 64bit target wont change code for you, that you must handle on your own.
That said, my first guess is that you try use 32bit pointers with 64bit = BSOD

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 03:47 PM »
1. https://github.com/Z..._bsod_analysis_2.txt has the source code Windows thinks is responsible for the crash I mentioned.

2. You didn't catch the edit I made. I was able to compile it for 64-bit OSes by using WDK 7.1.0 (which works as intended, when compiling using Visual Studio 2017 and the latest Windows 10 WDK, it doesn't). I am going to try Visual Studio 2013 and WDK 8.1 to see if the compiled 64-bit driver it makes works on Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 03:53 PM »
VStudio I do not own
You can download and install the free (as in 'free software') VS 2017 Community Edition from here so you can start experimenting. Knowing Delphi it isn't that hard, the basic (some pun intended) principles are quite the same. Do select C# as the initial development configuration.
Software you create yourself with it can be distributed freely.

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 04:17 PM »
VStudio I do not own
You can download and install the free (as in 'free software') VS 2017 Community Edition from here so you can start experimenting. Knowing Delphi it isn't that hard, the basic (some pun intended) principles are quite the same. Do select C# as the initial development configuration.
Software you create yourself with it can be distributed freely.

You missed that part, but thanks!
but i will not install that piece of software.

I already have a programming environment that make me happy -> Delphi :-]

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 07:19 PM »
I have made another issue on its Github page regarding the Control Panel Applet that is used to configure it. You can see it at https://github.com/Zero3K/ERAM/issues/15.