topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: pinning a program to taskbar, open in its own singular window  (Read 4106 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not too long ago, this was done by Chrome very elegantly.  You could create a shortcut, pin it to the taskbar, and make sure "open as window" was checked. And I would pin all sorts of stuff, like Lastpass, Protopage, Facebook and Messenger and Linoit and much more.  Stuff that I don't want to be thinking .. which browser, which window, which tab.  It is that way on my Desktop Windows 10, because I did it many months back on earlier Chrome versions. (Which makes me wonder about finding the right version and loading it for just that purpose, if possible.)

This is especially important for something like Lastpass, where the browser might close on a simple minimize, and you might have to reenter passwords. Also you want to get to it especially quickly, because you are checking something about a sites password other info. (Yes, the extensions for various browsers are supposed to help with that, but they are quirky.)

I read many articles, Google Chrome lost the feature, back and forth, up and down. 

Microsoft Edge has an "almost". It pins to taslbar and opens to the browser (not in its own window.)  And e.g.with Lastpass minimizing closes the Vault (a Lastpass "feature".) 

Still this might be the best way, since I don't use Edge for anything else.  Maybe if I just use it as my "Pinned Program" browser, I can regain some functionality?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Steven

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: pinning a program to taskbar, open in its own singular window
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 04:23 PM »
Applicationize might work for you.  I use it for several webapps that don't have a dedicated desktop version.  About the only thing I really miss is the ability to "close to tray" that most desktop apps have (but that's a very minor niggle).  FWIW, if you're worried about privacy implications, the project and code are on GitHub.  You can also still use the "More tools > Create Shortcut" option in Chrome but I prefer the wholly separate process and window that Applicationize creates.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 07:46 PM »
Applicationize might work for you.  I use it for several webapps that don't have a dedicated desktop version.  About the only thing I really miss is the ability to "close to tray" that most desktop apps have (but that's a very minor niggle).  FWIW, if you're worried about privacy implications, the project and code are on GitHub.  You can also still use the "More tools > Create Shortcut" option in Chrome but I prefer the wholly separate process and window that Applicationize creates.

Thanks for that!  I've been missing it since they took the ability out of chrome to make apps.  On that note, know that this functionality will probably be taken out at some point, and you need to give permissions in Chrome to allow unsigned apps.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 12:25 PM »
Nice program. Thanks! 

Seems to work well, creating a single window app on taskbar. At first I could not get the drag-and-drop to work, but later it even worked from Total Commander.

One minor weakness, it does not remember after a reboot.  I added "Apps Launcer for Chrome" extension so I don't have to go searching, and it takes just 30 seconds after a reboot to have everything placed well on the taskbar.

SKwire
" I prefer the wholly separate process and window that Applicationize creates."

Yes, often that is a big big plus.  Searching through five browsers 10 windows and 30 tabs for something, or opening it up again and again, can be a smidgen frustrating

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 03:42 PM »
One minor weakness, it does not remember after a reboot.

What doesn't survive a reboot?  The pinned shortcut in your taskbar?  If so, it seems to survive for me under Windows 7.   :huh:  All I did was start the app, right-click its button in the taskbar, and chose "Pin this program to taskbar."   :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 10:45 PM »
One minor weakness, it does not remember after a reboot.

What doesn't survive a reboot?  The pinned shortcut in your taskbar?  If so, it seems to survive for me under Windows 7.   :huh:  All I did was start the app, right-click its button in the taskbar, and chose "Pin this program to taskbar."   :)

You can also go to "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Chrome Apps" and copy the shortcut somewhere else.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 09:19 AM »
I probably either forgot the pin to taskbar, or maybe it should be done for each user?  I'll check that later. All seems fine now.

This is really a fantastic App. I now have Protopage, Linoit, Lastpass, Facebook and Messenger pinned. More coming. I am also going to see if it handles two separate pins for the same app ( e.g. a Protopage for personal and one for business.) That worked very well when Google Chrome had it act together.

Thanks to the team for finding this superb program!