ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Mailing lists or Message boards for offering software support?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Josh:
Well, initially, I think any author that starts a forum will respond. Once a good knowledge base is started up, then it will be less required except for unhandled issues. Thats the way I've seen most forums work, and I think its a good approach once a good KB is built up.

mitzevo:
I think investing in vBulletin ($120?) is the smartest move you can make if looking at a forum, which IS the best way to get a community started.  It's very familiar, fast & flexible.
-vegas (August 05, 2006, 06:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Damn, I totally prefer Invision over vB :P But I don't think I would buy some thing expensive just for a small dev based forum. If I needed a large forum and knew it would be quite popular etc. I would set up some thing like IPB.

mouser:
i've love to see a nice long review comparing the different forums...

mitzevo:
Mouser this is a very good idea.. actually I was thinking of mentioning it. The most comprehensive forum system review on the net.. would make a  nice spot light for DC wont you think? :) The reason I didn't mention was because I thought you would remind me that this is a software based community, but I guess forum systems could be an exception or special review or some rather like that :P

JavaJones:
I would kill for a good forum review. There are actually a ton of options though. You'd have to stick to the "top 5" or something, since there are so many variables, features, etc. to compare. Unfortunately the top 5 often lack some of the cooler core features that other systems have (for example, on-topic with the OP here, mailing list and forum integration). Usually these things are available as addons/hacks/mods/plugins/whatever, but it would of course be ludicrous to try to include even a few mods in the review. All of which is to say that I fully support a complete forum review (and would gladly put my money where my mouth just went :D), but I fear it may be too daunting a task to do "right". Nonetheless I'd love to see it done...

As far as mailing list vs. forum, I personally much prefer forums. It used to be that forums weren't as full-featured as your email client in terms of formatting, spell-checking, unread post tracking, etc. but modern systems like SMF and vB take care of most of those things very well. So the arguments for using a mailing list are diminishing. There are still some who simply like to download everything and read it "offline" at their leisure. It's just what works for their particular work approach I suppose. I do think these people are in the minority however, so a forum is usually a very safe bet. Forums are also generally friendlier to "newbies" and generally inexperienced people. Mailing lists are kind of archaic, klunky, and obscure for many people who are newer to the web.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version