ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Mailing lists or Message boards for offering software support?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Josh:
Again, its only as secure as the number of users it has. phpBB has been around a good long time, and as such, it has become one of the primarily used bb software packages. (Remember when ultimatebb was king?). The only hacks I have seen against phpbb's were ones that were caused due to admins not patching in a timely fashion.

f0dder:
Well, if it had been programmed decently, it wouldn't have (as many) holes. Yes, it's obviously the most targetted forum because it's the most widespread, but considering the amount of holes and the severity of them, I wouldn't want to run phpBB. Ever.

vegas:
I think investing in vBulletin ($120?) is the smartest move you can make if looking at a forum, which IS the best way to get a community started.  It's very familiar, fast & flexible.

Josh:
Well, if it had been programmed decently, it wouldn't have (as many) holes. Yes, it's obviously the most targetted forum because it's the most widespread, but considering the amount of holes and the severity of them, I wouldn't want to run phpBB. Ever.
-f0dder (August 05, 2006, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Programmed decently? Programming, regardless of who is doing it and how well you think it is done, has one major flaw. Its done by humans. So by saying that phpbb must not have been coded decently because it has so many holes, is like saying a car isnt safe because one man has managed to crash 8 of them in 2 years.

mouser:
we use simplemachines.org here (smf).
i like the forum approach to interacting with users, assuming you do want to interact with them.  if you dont have time to answer posts though, then dont start it, because it will give a bad impression if there are people posting questions and no one answering.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version