topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: batch prog to open then close an app on startup  (Read 4396 times)

scott_

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: batch prog to open then close an app on startup
« on: August 05, 2006, 06:06 AM »

Hi, this is my first request here and it may not be useful to others but it's wrecking my head.

I want to replace acrobat with foxitreader as my default pdf reader but the free foxitreader doesn't load at startup so the pdfs are left with no default app until foxitreader is launched. I've gone down the route of putting foxitreader.exe in the startup folder which is fine but then I need to manually close it, after which the pdfs are associated with it until the nxt time I startup then it's back to square 1.

Not a massive pain I admit but surely there must be a simple batch file which will open foxitreader on startup and then close it again. I've spent the morning looking at batch file tutorials but there's too much to wade through before getting to the functions I need, can anyone help?

thanks

Scott

[running winXP, sp2, HP centrino duo laptop, 1.66ghz]

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: batch prog to open then close an app on startup
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 07:13 AM »
to make foxit your default viewer, right click on a pdf file>open with>choose program>browse>select foxit reader>check the "always use the..." box, click ok, foxit will be the default viewer.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

scott_

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: batch prog to open then close an app on startup
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 01:12 PM »
Thanks, I had done that originally, but it didn't work when I next started-up. But now it does, go figure. Maybe because i disabled acrobat's startup, dunno. Thanks anyways.