ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Rename Open File in Windows

<< < (4/6) > >>

bardman:
I just saved a Notepad file and a WinRAR zip while it was open without any issues. Apparently, this is app related more than anything else. Some of MS's Office suite products have this restriction as well.

tomos:
I just saved a Notepad file and a WinRAR zip while it was open without any issues. Apparently, this is app related more than anything else. Some of MS's Office suite products have this restriction as well.
-bardman (October 28, 2018, 10:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
Do you mean you did a "save as" ?

wraith808:
-bardman (October 28, 2018, 10:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Some applications take the whole file into memory, thus releasing the handle on the file.  I didn't think Notepad was one of those, but checking, apparently it is.  If you'll notice, however- if you save the file loaded into notepad at that point, it creates an additional file with that name.

For my test, I created a file test.txt and opened it in notepad.  It had one line in it.  I then renamed it test1.txt.  I updated the file open in notepad, then saved it.  The newly created test.txt had my updates.  The text1.txt did not- it had the original text.

Lintalist:
My alternative: I use Total Commander - a shareware dual pane file manager - but there are freeware version clones (double commander, multi commander and many more) - These type of filemanagers have a "quick view" option (example https://www.ghisler.com/screenshots/en/02.html ) that will show the PDF (in this case) in the opposite panel - in the active panel you can now easily rename the PDF (other files) based on what you see - depending on the PDF you could even select text from the "viewing panel" and use that to rename your file.

Now you will often need to do something extra to get PDF viewing to work by installing a plugin (very easy to do) but there are many viewers for many different filetypes. (Quick)  Viewing won't lock the files and you can easily rename them.

xtabber:
XYplorer's built-in file viewer displays pdf files properly and does not lock the file being viewed, so you can rename it while viewing it.

The viewer, which can be shown in a pane or a separate movable window, always displays whatever file is currently selected, so you can simply scroll down through a list of files and rename them on the fly, without ever having to open them in a separate program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version