ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Rename Open File in Windows

<< < (3/6) > >>

wraith808:
so what is IrfanView doing when (on my command) it renames an open picture file?
 :-\

-Curt (October 28, 2018, 02:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Its closing the file that it has a lock on, renaming it, and re-opening it.  Or its streaming the whole thing into memory, closing the lock, and then reopening it.  It's not impossible, as I say.  It's just based more on the fact that he wants it to rename a file that something else has a lock on.  I can create a quick test app that would prevent anything from renaming that image file- even irfanview.  :-\

SumatraPDF allows for this and also has a "Rename" option within its own file menu or by pressing F2.  If you choose this option and rename a file, SumatraPDF will rename it and then re-open the PDF with the new filename.  In fact, if you open a PDF file in SumatraPDF and then rename it outside of SumatraPDF, it detects this and its internal "Rename" menu entry becomes greyed out.  At that point, you have to use the "Save As..." option.  FWIW, I use the rename feature all the time for the same reasons as the original poster.
-skwire (October 28, 2018, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yup.  And as I said, that's on the PDF reader :)  Thanks for pointing that one out!  I'd forgotten that SumatraPDF did this exact thing!

bardman:
Shoot, so I have just been using the wrong app the whole time! Sumatra will now be employed when renaming my PDFs. Thanks, everyone.

Maybe Adobe and some other apps should employ a rename in the same manner as Sumatra.

skwire:
Shoot, so I have just been using the wrong app the whole time! Sumatra will now be employed when renaming my PDFs. Thanks, everyone.-bardman (October 28, 2018, 01:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

SumatraPDF is great, and I use it for 99% of my PDF reading needs.  For the rare, problematic PDFs that Sumatra won't render, and for minor editing, I keep an older PDF-Xchange Viewer installed.

Curt:
The answers made me slowly remember to install GhostScript; Now my IrfanView can also rename an open pdf file. Thank you!

KodeZwerg:
From my side, FoxIt Pdf runs fast like hell and offer renaming features (optional "Save as..." copy).
Aslong you do not need to edit those Pdf's, FoxIt would be my #1 for free.
Just for fun i might come up with an easy Pdf-Viewer/Renamer Tools.... let's see :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version