ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Rename Open File in Windows

(1/6) > >>

bardman:
I download many training documents in PDF format in Windows. Unfortunately, many of the file names are generic or truncated so the corresponding file is hard to identify by those titles.

Can someone please code an app that renames files (primarily PDFs) while that PDF file is open for the Windows operating system?

Thanks in advance.

wraith808:
I download many training documents in PDF format in Windows. Unfortunately, many of the file names are generic or truncated so the corresponding file is hard to identify by those titles.

Can someone please code an app that renames files (primarily PDFs) while that PDF file is open for the Windows operating system?

Thanks in advance.
-bardman (October 27, 2018, 11:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

The problem is the fact that the PDF application has a handle on the file while it is open.  In that case, nothing can rename it without the file being closed first.  You'd have to have a PDF application that streamed it all into a temporary file or memory and then released the file in order to make that work.  And in that case, Windows would allow it to be renamed without a special program to do so.

KodeZwerg:
Well, two problems and two solutions.
Two Problems:
1st: how should my Application know wich file you want to rename?
2nd: has mentioned wraith808, open files cannot be renamed.

Solution 1: if i know how to solve 1st problem: use a copy command instead of file move.
Collect names that you renamed into a list.
Set this list to be deleted on a buttonpress or on next OS reboot.

Solution 2: I could write a Pdf Viewer wich let me set Filename. (needs a bit longer to code)

Question: Interested in one of my Ideas?

Curt:
so what is IrfanView doing when (on my command) it renames an open picture file?
 :-\

KodeZwerg:
so what is IrfanView doing when (on my command) it renames an open picture file?
 :-\
-Curt (October 28, 2018, 02:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Open picture with Windows Paint or similar, than try rename with any tool/Explorer = access denied. (copy works)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version