topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 11:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Mafia 1 and Mafia 2 - Atmosphere done right - Travel back in time to the 1940s  (Read 40403 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I have felt an urge to play a computer game lately, but none are doing it for me.

Then I picked up Mafia II -- it' set in the 40s and 50s;  the atmosphere is so damn beautiful and alluring..  Walking around I feel like I have traveled back in time, just looking at the buildings and landscape and listening to the music (think The Andrews Sisters).. It's enough to make you drool.. I just want to jump in my screen and live there.

If you ever wanted to travel back in time to the 40s+50s in a fictional gangster world, I can't recommend it enough.

(Mafia I was similarly enthralling and atmospheric and set in the 1920/1930s ?)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 09:41 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mafia 1 and Mafia 2 - Atmosphere done right
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 09:41 PM »
And if you want to play detective in the 1940s, it looks like L.A.Noire has some good atmosphere too (can't speak for the gameplay):

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Both blocked here :(

here's one of Mafia II that's working here/now

edit/ I forgot to say :-[ - it looks great :up:
Tom
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:06 AM by tomos »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just finished Mafia 2 -- *LOVED* it.  Felt like living in a gangster film.  Definitely up there with my top 5 video game experiences.  I remember feeling similarly after playing Mafia 1.  It's the total atmosphere -- the music, the graphics, the story, the gameplay, everything.  It feels like you are living in a movie like the Godfather.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 04:34 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Official Mafia 2 Trailers:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A year later and i'm playing Mafia II again.. It continues to amaze me how much playing this game feels like living inside one of the Godfather movies.  Not played anything to equal it yet.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
L.A. Noire is good also as far as game play.  I can't compare it to Mafia as I haven't played it.  But it's on a level like Red Dead Redemption, but for a noire detective story.  It's definitely akin to a story in a lot of places, and less open world than others because of that (not sure if Mafia is open world sandbox type), but it makes a sort of sense.  The mini-games are a fun distraction also that add to the environment and diversify what you need for success (especially the interrogations).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mafia2, one of my favorite games of the last few years, is now heavily discounted on steam.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mafia 3 has been anounced! Yay!
Here's someone talking about how Mafia2 gets a bad reap and how he hopes they don't listen too hard to the people saying that the new one has to have big changes:
http://www.gamesrada...ts-brilliant-quirks/

This guy nails that game and talks about why Mafia2 was so special.  If you're on the fence I encourage you to read it.  Mafia 2 is one of my favorite games I've played.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mafia 3 has been anounced! Yay!
Here's someone talking about how Mafia2 gets a bad reap and how he hopes they don't listen too hard to the people saying that the new one has to have big changes:
http://www.gamesrada...ts-brilliant-quirks/

This guy nails that game and talks about why Mafia2 was so special.  If you're on the fence I encourage you to read it.  Mafia 2 is one of my favorite games I've played.

I loved Mafia II - The only thing that let it down for me, was the inability to go into "Free Roam" mode after completing it.  I wanted to be able to cruise the streets after everything ended and just have some fun in old cars, but it gave you no way to do it :(

Hopefully Mafia III will not do that!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PC Gamer has a 12-minute Mafia 3 footage.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.c...-of-mafia-3-footage/

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've finally gotten around to starting Mafia 3 -- in an attempt to get some escape from the real world.
It's much harder to get into, and not nearly as satisfying, but it does grow on you.. The acting is great, the story is good (though it can't compare to Mafia 2), and it's BIG.

I definitely enjoyed 2 more.. Mafia 3 seems to be more on the bandwagon of making you grind away doing millions of little missions hunting every square inch of map, slowly unlocking perks and collecting a million tiny little items hidden behind millions of locked doors, etc.   And a huge set of little micro-management of upgrade tree, etc.  Where 2 was more focused on a linear story and less grinding.  But still, the developers of these games have a real vision for creating a world and story that feels gritty and real.

The music is, as with the Mafia 1 and 2, absolutely outstanding, and adds a huge amount to the game.
It's amazing how these games make you feel like you are living in these worlds..
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 12:51 AM by mouser »

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've finally gotten around to starting Mafia 3 -- in an attempt to get some escape from the real world.
It's much harder to get into, and not nearly as satisfying, but it does grow on you.. The acting is great, the story is good (though it can't compare to Mafia 2), and it's BIG.
The music is, as with the Mafia 1 and 2, absolutely outstanding, and adds a huge amount to the game.
It's amazing how these games make you feel like you are living in these worlds..

I LOVED the Mafia 3 story. It felt SO immersive and I felt absolutely lost once I'd finished it.

I usually hate stories in games...but MAFIA 3 took me in.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just finished Mafia3.  Pretty amazing, as were the first two.  This series does not get the respect and admiration that it deserves.  Incredible games.
[ps I drove away]

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Back in 2012 I wrote about my love of the Mafia1 and Mafia2 computer games.  Now in 2020 they went back and brought the original Mafia game up to 2020 graphics and audio standards, and re-recorded all the dialog, etc. 
Can't wait to return to this game.  Highly recommended. 

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
looks great!!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sounds like they improved the driving. Hopefully that means the racing mission isn't so terrible. :D

tobi.codes

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I really liked Mafia II.
Going to try out Mafia III soon.  :D

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I really liked Mafia II.
Going to try out Mafia III soon.  :D

Mafia III is amazing.  One of the only games that drew me into the story and made me not skip cutscenes!