topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: Batch Editor for URL and LNK Properties  (Read 77338 times)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Batch Editor for URL and LNK Properties
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2018, 09:28 AM »
Thanks for doing this. I haven't yet had time to try it out but it's on my to-do list  :)  :Thmbsup:

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2018, 09:40 AM »
Next release can be obtained here.

Major speed improvement, this one is best version so far. I am still improving my filesystem IO by creating threads, not fully functional yet so i deactivated, anyway, this release do perform 99,99% faster *dreams.... are my reality.... lalalala*

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2018, 01:40 PM »
I am proud to anounce my final non-threaded Version of this utility.

If you missed how it look, heres a teaser
Shortcut (_lnk _url) Tuner by KodeZwerg - 12_11.jpgIDEA: Batch Editor for URL and LNK Properties

I had a dream.... samurai skills and wisdom of zen combined with red bull, all that resulted in another performance boost.
You wonder hows that possible, i basically hacked myself into listview control to exclude and include icons in my own way during Window refresh :-]

This will result in a, how to say, gui will not look good for a few moments

For now, since no error reports arrived, this will be my last update before, if at all, i put all operations in own threads.

Enjoy,

KodeZwerg.

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2018, 11:17 PM »
First threaded version for your pleasure is here.

Shortcut (_lnk _url) Tuner by KodeZwerg - Final.jpgIDEA: Batch Editor for URL and LNK Properties

Added:
 - kung-fu skills

Removed:
 - lameness

You might notice on Screenshot that many options are gone now. Technical they are still avail, just set invisible.
You might ask why? I have so much trust in myself that the point of speed has no more bad effects.
That will currently result in this situation:
If Folders are dropped, all subfolders will be scanned too.
I would like to hear feedback on that decision I made.

Bugs/Limitations:
 - i need to lock save things, please wait until dropped files are fully loaded (as soon as statusbar tell something about adding icons....)
 - you cannot drop that fast anymore (i already try to dynamic thread this sucker)
 - some icons are wrong/blank, especially .url files show that behavior now, i am on it...

For interested how I now doing stuff:
 - Mainthread (GUI) will search for files on drop. This search aint threaded yet since without files no work is possible, i might change that...
 - When files are gathered a new thread populate found files in list
 - When list is filled a new thread will add icons to entries

berkland

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2018, 06:18 PM »
O, Zen Master KodeZwerg, a thousand pardons please for not responding sooner!  I got completely carried away with other matters in life and failed to thank you promptly.  I do appreciate all the work you have done on this programming.  And I hope you are having FUN with this project.

I downloaded the latest version of Shortcut Tuner.  I then inserted a folder of URL shortcuts.  I have NOT yet tried any LNK files.  Some of these URL shortcuts had the Google icon but others did not. I wanted ALL of the URL shortcuts to have the Google icon. I checkmarked the IconLocation and IconIndex boxes and clicked "Apply to All".  I got an "Unspecified error" message.

So, I then checkmarked the URL shortcuts that did NOT have the Google icon and tried to "Apply to Selected".  I received the same "Unspecified error" message then as well.  Attached is a screenshot of the URL folder, the program UI, and the error message.  I hope you will explain to me what I am doing incorrectly.

Also, most respectfully, are you taking over this programming request from skwire?  And, is there any chance a search capability (for URL and LNK files) will be built into the program?

Thank you again.   :)

berkland

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2018, 06:21 PM »
* Screenprint .pdf (468.46 kB - downloaded 328 times.)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 06:45 PM by Stephen66515 »

berkland

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2018, 06:27 PM »
I don't see my attachment........

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2018, 06:46 PM »
I don't see my attachment........

Fixed it for you - use [attachurl=#] for non-image files, in the future. (I guess the uploader should make this clearer. - I will get mouser to sort that :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2018, 09:23 PM »
Also, most respectfully, are you taking over this programming request from skwire?  And, is there any chance a search capability (for URL and LNK files) will be built into the program?

Apologies for the delay.  I've been taking care of a family medical emergency this week and have not had time to work on my application.  That said, I will finish it, and it will have search and replace functionality.

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2018, 01:19 AM »
[ Invalid Attachment ]O, Zen Master KodeZwerg, a thousand pardons please for not responding sooner!  I got completely carried away with other matters in life and failed to thank you promptly.  I do appreciate all the work you have done on this programming.  And I hope you are having FUN with this project.

I downloaded the latest version of Shortcut Tuner.  I then inserted a folder of URL shortcuts.  I have NOT yet tried any LNK files.  Some of these URL shortcuts had the Google icon but others did not. I wanted ALL of the URL shortcuts to have the Google icon. I checkmarked the IconLocation and IconIndex boxes and clicked "Apply to All".  I got an "Unspecified error" message.

So, I then checkmarked the URL shortcuts that did NOT have the Google icon and tried to "Apply to Selected".  I received the same "Unspecified error" message then as well.  Attached is a screenshot of the URL folder, the program UI, and the error message.  I hope you will explain to me what I am doing incorrectly.

Thank you again.   :)[ Invalid Attachment ]

To your found bug: fixed Version can be downloaded by clicking on this link.
I am really sorry, since this is a one man project and betatesting also just me since no one is interested, when i build this app, it was for .LNK files only, later i quick added .URL support.
At that point i missed to include proper save function for different filetypes.
Actually it tried to open a .URL file as a .LNK file = your found error happen.
Best of all, fixed another bug too by inspecting save routines, the build you have would overwrite same file again and again instead of changing filename :-)

To Icons: I do admit, due the way windows works, sometimes on the filebox a wrong icon appear (a blank one)
This is a victim to my threading approach, i somehow cannot fix it back to first version where all looked good all the time.
Second, on Editors page the bigger Icon may also not display correct one, same error like above.
As soon as you click ".." and just click "Ok" you should see now whatever icon actually is used.
I am sorry for this steps, i will try to fix that too but having trouble with access right for my nested threads.

To Search Request: I could easily add. Lets wait for Skwire release if that a) works better for you and b) your feedback decides :-]

To how you tried: That is exact way to use it
small how to again:
 - first drop in something (folder / files) to play with
 - as soon as "loading Icons" appear in status bar you may start to set files checkbox
 - then select any file to be used as template
 - modify template to your needs
 - then set checkboxes for what to unify (in your case IconLocation and IconIndex)
 - then click on "apply to selected"
 - done.

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2018, 03:52 AM »
As a sneak preview on how i understood that search and replace thing, feel free to check this out,

small teaser:
Shortcut (_lnk _url) Tuner by KodeZwerg - SearchReplace.jpgIDEA: Batch Editor for URL and LNK Properties

I had not much time to test so heres the basics on how i implemented it:
Do things like you should, drop files etc, checkbox files etc.
Now on Editors side, activate the search replace function like shown on above image.
All things that you checked will be included for search replace function.
This is absolutely alpha status, not optimized, if it is something like you wanted to have, tell me and i do optimize its working.
For now target files will be loaded twice, that would be optimized at first :-)

BTW Search Replace just work on Edit fields with text, when i take above image:
top first field "Target" down to "IconLocation" can be tuned that way.

Also, most respectfully, are you taking over this programming request from skwire?
I didnt knew that it was a request to Skwire. Forget about my releases, i be quit now.
I really did not want to cause any kind of trouble, i was just interested in topic and the "how-to" part.
So please excuse my intrusion into this matter.

Regards,

KodeZwerg.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 06:04 AM by KodeZwerg »

berkland

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2018, 06:35 PM »

I tried to change the icon on URL files using ShortcutTuner.  This did not work, so I tried an alternate method.  First, I changed the URL files to LNK files using skwire’s Earl.exec.  Next, I changed the icon on the LNK files using the ShortcutTuner.  This method worked, however, there are three drawbacks:

1) It is a two-stage process using 2 softwares.

2) The file type was changed from “Internet Shortcut” to “Shortcut”, so the original file type information was lost.  Now, I do not know if the shortcut is a shortcut to a web page or a shortcut to a file on my PC.

3) All the URL files had to be in the same folder in order to be changed.  This is where an initial search would be very helpful so that changes to each URL file could be made wherever that URL file resides.

Are there any questions that I need to answer at this point?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2018, 12:12 AM »
I didnt knew that it was a request to Skwire. Forget about my releases, i be quit now.
I really did not want to cause any kind of trouble, i was just interested in topic and the "how-to" part.
So please excuse my intrusion into this matter.

@KodeZwerg: No need to be quiet, KodeZwerg, and you weren't causing any trouble or intrusion at all.   :D

@berkland: I really do appreciate your patience on my version.  Work travel for me has been busier than normal but my last business trip of the year is next week and then I have a few weeks where I can bear down and finish my version of this app for you.  Here's some more teaser screenshots:

image-01.pngIDEA: Batch Editor for URL and LNK Properties image-02.pngIDEA: Batch Editor for URL and LNK Properties image-03.pngIDEA: Batch Editor for URL and LNK Properties

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2018, 01:41 AM »

@KodeZwerg: No need to be quiet, KodeZwerg, and you weren't causing any trouble or intrusion at all.   :D

Glad to hear that SkWire.

@OP, i cant reproduce your found error, on my system all work like it should.
If i should fix anything, please do some screenshots of what you are doing and how you use my Application.
So i can understand whats going wrong. Be as precise as possible, thankyou.

Over here i can replace all Icons to one, no matter if .LNK or .URL

I am on vacation for a week.

berkland

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2018, 11:20 AM »
Thanks to all for your replies.  Just wanted to make sure this project had not beeen forgotten.

@berkland: I really do appreciate your patience on my version.  Work travel for me has been busier than normal but my last business trip of the year is next week and then I have a few weeks where I can bear down and finish my version of this app for you.  Here's some more teaser screenshots:

image-01.png image-02.png image-03.png

Suggestion:  A "Check All Boxes" or "Select All" would be great in the Find and Replace window.

Gracias!!      :up:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2018, 11:27 AM »
Suggestion:  A "Check All Boxes" or "Select All" would be great in the Find and Replace window.

Do you mean something that will automatically check all the rows in the list?  If so, the button above the list does that.  See below:

image-03.pngIDEA: Batch Editor for URL and LNK Properties

Is this what you meant?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2018, 11:56 AM »

Glad to hear that SkWire.

@OP, i cant reproduce your found error, on my system all work like it should.
If i should fix anything, please do some screenshots of what you are doing and how you use my Application.
So i can understand whats going wrong. Be as precise as possible, thankyou.

Over here i can replace all Icons to one, no matter if .LNK or .URL

I am on vacation for a week.

Look at some of the other requests- some people get 4 or 5 devs chiming in with different solutions.  More solutions is never bad, IMO.

berkland

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2018, 02:10 PM »
Do you mean something that will automatically check all the rows in the list?  If so, the button above the list does that.  See below:

image-03.png

Is this what you meant?

YES, Exactly!!!!

berkland

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2018, 05:31 PM »
Screen prints sent per request:

1.jpgIDEA: Batch Editor for URL and LNK Properties     2.jpgIDEA: Batch Editor for URL and LNK Properties     3.jpgIDEA: Batch Editor for URL and LNK Properties

berkland

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2018, 10:36 AM »

Is there anything I can do at this point in time to expedite this request???

Please let me know if anyone needs more information!

Thanks!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2018, 11:18 AM »
On KodeZwerg's profile, it shows that he hasn't been on since he announced he was going on vacation on 12/7.  Unfortunately, you'll just have to wait or see if skwire's entry can do what you need.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2018, 04:15 PM »
I've been working on it the past couple of days.  The LNK handling is done and I'm working on the URL handing right now.  It'll be my NANY this year so, rest assured, it'll get done.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2018, 11:16 AM »
@berkland: I released my version of this app, called SCURLed, for the NANY 2019 promotion here:  NANY 2019 Release: SCURLed

Again, thanks very much for your patience, and thanks very much to everybody that contributed to this thread.  Happy New Year!

berkland

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2019, 08:20 PM »

I never received a notification that this blog had been updated or that I had received a reply, so I am just now learning that my software request has been completed.

I downloaded the SCURLed software and I am excited about trying it out.

I want to thank skwire and everybody else involved in seeing this project to completion.

Thank you very much.   :)   :D   :up:   :Thmbsup: 

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2019, 08:36 AM »
I downloaded the SCURLed software and I am excited about trying it out.

Please try it out on copies of your LNK and URL files first.