ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Scot Finnie finally decides on an antivirus solution...

<< < (3/6) > >>

bratliff:
For some reason you don't like bloated do everything programs, but I do. ZoneAlarm with virus protection, firewall, email scanner, etc. does it all. Why run multiple programs to get the job done when you can run one?
Robert

f0dder:
For some reason you don't like bloated do everything programs, but I do. ZoneAlarm with virus protection, firewall, email scanner, etc. does it all. Why run multiple programs to get the job done when you can run one?
-bratliff (August 17, 2006, 09:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
If one app doesn't do the job properly, I'd rather have a couple running...

IMHO for the antivirus part, there's only two really reasonable choices: KAV or NOD32. KAV used to use rootkit-style hidden NTFS alternate streams, which got the sysinternals guys waving their warning flags, but that has been fixed...

KAV is a bit heavier than NOD32, but also includes "suspicious action blocking", not just virus scanning.

Personally I used to like zonealarm in the early versions, but then it went pretty rotten.

mrainey:
I used the free version of Zone Alarm for years, but finally got tired of the bugs introduced with each new release.  If you still use it, don't install a new version for a month or two after release - give Zone Labs a chance to fix the inevitable bloopers.

Having said that, all the reviews I've read over the past year say that the ZoneAlarm Pro Suite is very solid.

app103:
I would much prefer to have a great firewall and a great AV and a great anti-spyware, rather than have a less than great combo product.

Zone Alarm is a great firewall...always has been...and I will continue to use the older version I have without all the anti-other-stuff. It is the addition of all the extra stuff that seems to have created all the problems people complain about.

AVG is a great antivirus and not so bloated that I can't run it on my old P1.

And Spybot is a great anti-spyware, with the least amount of false positives. (I won't use an anti-spyware that detects all my Delphi & VB 6 source code files as malware, based solely on it's file extensions, which most do. Kind of gives me the impression that they don't know what they are doing when they call the source to my Delphi 'Hello World' a Kazaa trojan.)

All 3 of these are great products...and all 3 are either free or have a free version.

Some of the all-in-one products are so bad that having malware, instead, might be an actual improvement.  :(

tomos:
I'm using the free version of Sunbelt Kerio Firewall, AVG,
and,
I was using spybot, but started using Windows defender, cause it got good reports & I get download notifications from windows update - was using both for a while (Spybot + w.defender) but wasnt sure would they clash - (didnt seem to mind you)

Anyone have any opinions on the Sunbelt Kerio Firewall? And whether paid version is whole lot better? (I gotta admit I read about the differences & didnt understand ... :-\ )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version