topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: "If you don't steal [from the commons] you are stealing from your family".  (Read 7235 times)

NetRunner

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Searching for "game theory" I saw some old discussions, so maybe some people here will appreciate this blog post (I know I did):

Anti-social Punishment

Small commentary after reading it:

The main hypothesis suggested, if true, would offers some good insights to the behavior of my neighbors. The number of free raiders among them is astonishing [to me] and, like just like the author described, if you try to guide them to contribute, they will punish you (including with ostracism - sometimes until you are so poor that your only option then becomes to free raid too). Crabs in the bucket, really.

But, paraphrasing the author: what's so bad about being ostracized by free-riders after all? Sure, before the internet became widespread, that would be a hard hit, but these days, one can easily find good online communities with good people, so the "punishment" is a lot less severe in some fronts.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Very interesting blog post :up:
Tom

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
But, paraphrasing the author: what's so bad about being ostracized by free-riders after all? Sure, before the internet became widespread, that would be a hard hit, but these days, one can easily find good online communities with good people, so the "punishment" is a lot less severe in some fronts.
Yes. Spread of free or cheap internet and many online activities has helped us geeks who were 'unsocial' few years ago to become 'social' again. In fact nothing changed for us but the 'others' thinking towards us :)

Regards,

Anand

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
But, paraphrasing the author: what's so bad about being ostracized by free-riders after all?

Some people are really petty and will do everything in their power to ruin your life over perceived offenses.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 02:50 PM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
All I have to say to that article is wow.  I couldn't believe that it wasn't fiction.  Thanks for sharing!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Some people are really petty and will http://www.latimes.c...ojects/la-me-framed/ do everything in their power to ruin your life over perceived offenses.

Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.
-Los Angeles Times

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's a long article divided into 6 sections. And yes, that was a prime example of pettiness.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Some people are really petty and will http://www.latimes.c...ojects/la-me-framed/ do everything in their power to ruin your life over perceived offenses.

Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.
-Los Angeles Times

Try this link: http://archive.is/aAs16

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's a long article divided into 6 sections. And yes, that was a prime example of pettiness.

Some companies just haven't had the time or resources to update to the standards of the GDPR.  So instead of opening themselves up to liability, they do that.  It sucks, but that's the way of the world today.