topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: N.A.N.Y. 2019 -- ScrabbleScore  (Read 13143 times)

dmytron

• Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
N.A.N.Y. 2019 -- ScrabbleScore
« on: September 28, 2018, 05:35 AM »
This year, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you ScrabbleScore -- simple application that calculates your Scrabble word scores according to English language scoring.

It works on .NET Framework 4.6 and was created on Windows, so Windows runs it smoothly. It can be run on other OS (Linux with Mono, for example), but untested.

Just enter the needed word and look at the score. To mark letter as "double-letter" or "triple-letter", just put number 2 or 3 before it. To mark word as "double-word" or "triple-word", just put 2 or 3 at the end of the word. If there are several letters in a row, only the last one counts.

Screenshots:

1.jpgN.A.N.Y. 2019 -- ScrabbleScore2.jpgN.A.N.Y. 2019 -- ScrabbleScore3.jpgN.A.N.Y. 2019 -- ScrabbleScore

Source code:

https://github.com/U.../ScrabbleScoreCSharp

« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 11:52 AM by wraith808, Reason: removed attachment line »

dmytron

• Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: N.A.N.Y. 2019 -- ScrabbleScore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 07:12 AM »
I add the application as an attachment but it doesn't show up in the post.

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 07:37 AM »
[ attachthumb=1,msg423780 ]
Try erase that line from Post #1 and save it.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 08:20 AM »
I add the application as an attachment but it doesn't show up in the post.
You need to attach a .zip (or .7z) file, .exe is not accepted by the forum, AFAICS, and the maximum filesize is ~16 MB, but I guess that's not a problem.

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 08:40 AM »
@Ath, his post looks like there is something added, but he put it on html, i guess DC-Forum can not "display" that attachment but since its in html, it is not shown as a downloadable attachment.
"Displayable" attachments for html are images, they will not be shown as downloadable content instead they are embedded in html, whats a cool feature is.

Thats why i suggested that he removes that line that will exclude content from attachment and put it on html.

I hope i am correct and understandable.

Regards,

KodeZwerg.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 11:53 AM »
Updated to remove embed line.  I'd still suggest zipping before posting instead of posting the .exe.  Many browsers won't download exes or if they do will mark them as unsafe, sight unseen.

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 12:50 PM »
Thanks for removing that line, i'll did a quick virustotal check -> Screenshot - 30_09 003.jpgN.A.N.Y. 2019 -- ScrabbleScore

dmytron

• Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 02:47 PM »
Thanks for the help, I don't know what I would do without you. :up:

Maybe you should remove .exe from the list of supported attachment formats, if it is a problem. I was fooled by this list.

BTW, I think it would be stupid for a person with 4 NANY badges risk his reputation (and a chance to get $20) by uploading infected file. But maybe I'm too naive for this world. And .Net apps do look like small viruses written in Assembler, because of their size.

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 03:24 PM »
Maybe you should remove .exe from the list of supported attachment formats, if it is a problem. I was fooled by this list.

Problem was not the extension, problem was that you pressed on "insert attachment" so it is embedded in html Message, since html can not "display/render" anything with .exe it was invisible but still archived on dc as it is reachable now on post #1.

Can you explain a bit your program how it works?
I havent looked yet, due small size i wonder how you calculate legitime words and wich languages will it support.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 04:53 PM »
You can attach exes just fine, as shown, just not embed them. And I was just referring to my own advice on uploading exes, nothing set in stone on the site.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 05:31 PM »
Yeah, always better to zip an exe i think, just less risk of antivirus false positives, and less chance people just auto download and run a random executable.
We should probably at this point make the forum insist on not uploaded exe files directly.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 01:10 AM »
due small size i wonder how you calculate legitime words and wich languages will it support.
.NET can result in very small .exe files, as most of the code is in the framework, as opposed to Delphi, C++, etc., where all runtime stuff is (usually) linked into the .exe

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 02:09 AM »
Word Databases are often a few megabyte in size, no matter if linked within .exe or as external file.

But okay, will peek into source to get answer.

Delphi non-Vcl would also end with a small 30kb .exe file thats being able to display an edit line and a label.
C++ would do it even more smaller i guess.

But no matter of what galactic compiler you use, word database size stay same.

dmytron

• Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 03:51 AM »
You can call me a lazy programmer ;D. This app currently doesn't have a word database included in it. All it does is adding the values of every letter in the word and showing the complete score. This way, you can calculate the value of any word, regardless of whether it is legitimate or not.

But if it's needed I can look into adding word database. However, then I can't add too many languages, because I'm not sure there is a word database for every language in a simple format.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 05:21 PM »
You can call me a lazy programmer . This app currently doesn't have a word database included in it. All it does is adding the values of every letter in the word and showing the complete score. This way, you can calculate the value of any word, regardless of whether it is legitimate or not.

I don't think lazy... that's what I thought it did from the start!  ;D  You shouldn't need a word database in order to calculate a score... You just need to store what the non-1 point letters are, assume the others are 1-point, and then from the indicators of multipliers, you can figure out the score!

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 01:56 AM »
by reading Rules, actual gameplay is different. If interested why, click on that link and click on "scoring".
a gameboard is required to have it done correct (multiple word hits).

What i suggest, add more input lines, so we can enter words there that hit each other, calculation for words you have, just add them alltogether as final result.

Thank you for your explanation for how it calculate results.

dmytron

• Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 03:36 AM »
KodeZwerg, I don't think that scoring multiple hits is necessary, because this app is designed for scoring one word only, not the complete Scrabble play. If there are multiple hits, they can be calculated separately.