topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Vivaldi and Multiple User Profiles  (Read 5066 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Vivaldi and Multiple User Profiles
« on: September 24, 2018, 01:25 PM »
So, I started trying to look for a viable alternative for Chrome (trying Vivaldi and Brave right now for the second time each).  Though I liked Brave, there was just a bit too much still missing for me right now, and for having an ad blocker built in, they sure do miss a lot.  So, I'm on Vivaldi again.  Initial impressions are good, though I'm surprised that there aren't multiple user profiles built in.  Did any Vivaldi users here use this feature in Chrome?  If so, how do you get around it?  I see several threads on it, but nothing solid, other than installing a completely new instance.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Vivaldi and Multiple User Profiles
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 01:50 PM »
FWIW, I use, and really like, Vivaldi, but don't miss the multiple profiles feature.  I never really used them in Chrome or Firefox, either.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 02:06 PM »
FWIW, I use, and really like, Vivaldi, but don't miss the multiple profiles feature.  I never really used them in Chrome or Firefox, either.

I run separate work and home profiles, as both have certain logins that are unique to them (Microsoft account is the one that I can't do without)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 03:04 PM »
I run separate work and home profiles, as both have certain logins that are unique to them (Microsoft account is the one that I can't do without)

Gotcha, I can see how that would be useful.   :up:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Not the same thing, I know, but I run multiple instances of Vivaldi concurrently, (which I just saw you mentioned  :-[ ... I blame it on the small phone screen).

eg. Stable release x64 installed (system default), beta x32 as portable, and beta x64 as Incognito portable.

They each have their own configs and haven't yet screwed up any of the other configs.

Most likely chews through more RAM but with 24GB it hasn't been a problem and multiple profiles isn't a feature I've ever used in a browser.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 12:45 AM »
I use Vivaldi as my daily driver. I used to use the profiles in Chrome, which I found useful. But I just gave up on the idea of multiple profiles when I switched to Vivaldi. :(

If I need to login to the same site I'm already logged into with different credentials, I just ctrl-shift-N to open a new private window and let my password manager do its thing to make it easy to login. Either that or I use Firefox for the alternate logins.

Obviously that's not nearly as convenient as having a separate profile, but it does the job.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 01:20 AM »
Well, now that Firefox is thrown in :), this FF plugin sounds usable in this case: https://addons.mozil...-account-containers/

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 08:00 AM »
Well, now that Firefox is thrown in :), this FF plugin sounds usable in this case: https://addons.mozil...-account-containers/
Firefox seems to like this add-on. However, they point out that it lacks a major feature that was in "Tab Groups", which is showing you only the Tabs that relate to the Current Group (and perhaps the non-Grouped Tabs?)

I like the basic idea, not so much for credentials, but for only seeing the relevant 5-10 Tabs.  Esepecially since we do not have the rows of Roomy Bookmarks (except maybe on Pale Moon and Waterfox.)  Generally, I only use browsers that work with Linkman, but that can usually be arranged. I have decided that I will pass on Firefox pre-Quantum for a number of reasons.  Just not stable enough, not secure enough, and no real advantages over Pale Moon and Waterfox.

So who, what browser and extension, has the best Tab Group or Container implementation that ONLY shows the Tabs of the Current Group?
(And optionally non-Grouped Tabs, although they could be put in Miscellaneious)

Ideally, the Tabs in Groups not active will be asleep.

The information has to be saved on a reboot for the next session. - even on a crash or a PsKill. 

=================

I also see that pinned tabs can help.  So I want either -
-- remembrance of pinned tabs to a future session
-- auto loading of five-ten pins (presumably I could use iMacro, or some other Macro)

=================

Your thoughts.  I don't mind using Quantum any more.  Chrome I use for all my Applicationize Tab bars. I have not really put them in competition. I think Firefox may have had trouble keeping their code base stable enough and improving enough when they went to the Chrome-Clone realm.

Steven
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:09 AM by Steven Avery »