topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: Very simple timeclock utility  (Read 86809 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Very simple timeclock utility
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2013, 09:03 AM »
hi Montgomery_Minds,
you might prompt me to revisit this :up:

I think the version tweaked by Armando (post #57) is the most recent.
Has anyone added the tweaks suggested since? (willing to upload?)
Tom

Montgomery_Minds

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Montgomery Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2013, 11:13 AM »
That would be great!
I would happily test it for you.

If you get motivated, the next feature that i would need is the tagging that people have discussed.  the idea of being able to designate a span of time, with many programs used during that span, as a certain time allocation.  Your suggestion of naming the files to contain a keyword, and then searching for the keyword would work, at least in some cases.  But i think adding a new feature to the program to know about a tag directly would really help me.  I'm guessing the tag would start out uninitialized, and perhaps stay that way forever, meaning, it's optional for those that dont need it.  From my understanding of how the program works, it would mean something like re-writing the .csv file, cuz tags are provided by the user for time already passed.  Perhaps even at the end of the day.  Or some other way to store tags, but then the detailed view needs to read 2 files.  Or something.

thing is, i really LIKE that the program today only appends to the .csv file, and doesnt lock it.  cuz then i can edit the .csv file myself, and TitleLog keeps on working happily.  But perhaps TitleLog adding a tag in the past would be ok, if it keeps re-opening then closing the file for each edit.  But then you're re-writing the whole file each time there's a tag entry from the user.  Dunno.  I can see why that doesnt fit with the current program paradigm.  And as i said, i like that paradigm. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:30 AM by Montgomery_Minds, Reason: added tag feature detailed request »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2013, 11:37 AM »
That would be great!
I would happily test it for you.
-Montgomery_Minds (February 11, 2013, 11:13 AM)

sorry -  I see now I phrased that a bit ambiguously (I meant start using it again :-[)
I can just about change a hotkey in AHK - and that's it...

So I'll repost your requests, in the hopes that someone might take a look at it:

If you get motivated, the next feature that i would need is the tagging that people have discussed.  the idea of being able to designate a span of time, with many programs used during that span, as a certain time allocation.  Your suggestion of naming the files to contain a keyword, and then searching for the keyword would work, at least in some cases.  But i think adding a new feature to the program to know about a tag directly would really help me.  I'm guessing the tag would start out uninitialized, and perhaps stay that way forever, meaning, it's optional for those that dont need it.  From my understanding of how the program works, it would mean something like re-writing the .csv file, cuz tags are provided by the user for time already passed.  Perhaps even at the end of the day.  Or some other way to store tags, but then the detailed view needs to read 2 files.  Or something.

thing is, i really LIKE that the program today only appends to the .csv file, and doesnt lock it.  cuz then i can edit the .csv file myself, and TitleLog keeps on working happily.  But perhaps TitleLog adding a tag in the past would be ok, if it keeps re-opening then closing the file for each edit.  But then you're re-writing the whole file each time there's a tag entry from the user.  Dunno.  I can see why that doesnt fit with the current program paradigm.  And as i said, i like that paradigm.  
Tom

DyNama

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Are you a good witch or a bad witch?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2013, 12:11 AM »
I'm still interested in this program. i have it running all the time but know that it's not perfect. and even tho i wrote a macro in AHK today, i don't really program either―it took a half hour to get syntax of 1 function right! so i too would love it if someone took over this program.

Montgomery_Minds

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Montgomery Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2013, 10:34 PM »
brett was the original author.  If they want to continue, that'd be great.  If not, i will consider it.  But i have time constraints and i have learned very long hard lessons about jumping with both feet into fun new projects.  so I'm trying to be more disciplined and deliberate.  I have God and Procrastinators Anonymous to thank for that bit of personal growth (ongoing ;^)

DyNama

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2013, 04:35 PM »
Here's 2 problems that need fixing. here's a sample Detail View as it first comes up:
[attachtimg=1]
if i change the start date, tho, the Detail View does NOT include all entries between the 2 dates but rather just the entries of the first date:
[attachtimg=5]
if i change the end date too, the Detail View includes all entries from the start date to now, ignoring the end date:
[attachtimg=2]

if i click the Summary View button, i get a nice summarry of all the apps used with the total time in each:
[attachtimg=3]
but if i change the start date, i get a realistic apps list, but all the times are zero:
[attachtimg=4]

the simplest change i would like to see is the time column of the Detail View with 12-hour time with am/pm. i find it distracting that the time is a 4-digit number without punctuation but elapsed time is written with colons.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:41 PM by DyNama »

DyNama

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2013, 05:04 PM »
I went ahead and added the other 4 buttons to the Idle box:
[attachtimg=1]

so here's my version of TitleLog with all the typos fixed: [attachurl=#2][/attachurl]

DyNama

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2013, 08:00 PM »
i find i missed a Return in adding the other 4 buttons. it goes after line 254.

Code: Autohotkey [Select]
  1. Cust4:
  2.  Gui, 6:Submit, NoHide
  3.   GuiControl,,SDedit,%SDedit% %custom4%
  4. Return
  5. Cust5:                  ;;; ;Custom message control for idle alarm
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:23 AM by DyNama »

DyNama

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2013, 03:00 AM »
here's another change. when you Add Comments To Log, the buttons don't line up unless you sent button 5 back to the left―change "xp+5" to "xp-450". here's the whole Comment subroutine:

1. Comment:                ;;; ;Comment Gui triggered from tray menu
  2.   SetTimer, logchanges, OFF
  3.   Gui, 7:-SysMenu +AlwaysOnTop
  4.   Gui, 7:add, Text,,Add a Comment to the Log
  5.   Gui, 7:add, edit, w600 vcmnts,
  6.   Gui, 7:Add, GroupBox, w600 h60,Quick Text Buttons
  7.   Gui, 7:add, Button,xp+5 yp+25 w140 gCustComment1 , %Custom1%
  8.   Gui, 7:add, Button,x+10        w140 gCustComment2 , %Custom2%
  9.   Gui, 7:add, Button,x+10        w140 gCustComment3 , %Custom3%
  10.   Gui, 7:add, Button,x+10        w140 gCustComment4 , %Custom4%
  11.   Gui, 7:add, Button,xp-450 yp+25 w140 gCustComment5 , %Custom5%
  12.   Gui, 7:add, Button,x+10        w140 gCustComment6 , %Custom6%
  13.   Gui, 7:add, Button,x+10        w140 gCustComment7 , %Custom7%
  14.   Gui, 7:add, Button,x+10        w140 gCustComment8 , %Custom8%
  15.   Gui, 7:Font,Bold
  16.   Gui, 7:add, Button,xs w600 gsavecomment Default, &Save comments
  17.   Gui, 7:show,,Add a Comment
  18. Return ;;

also, somehow a LF/CR got deleted in line 321. without this, comments aren't written to the log.
Return  ;;savecomment:             ;;; ;save comment

should be
  1. Return  ;;
  2. savecomment:            ;;; ;save comment
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:22 AM by DyNama »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member