ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Very simple timeclock utility

(1/17) > >>

superboyac:
I've been searching for almost 2 hours, but I can't find anything.  Here is the idea, it seems simple, but I don't know if it really is.  Here is my visualization of it:

--The main window is just a list or grid of events I create, like "arrived at work", "went to lunch", "came back from lunch".

--Next to each event would be a time entry field with a button next to it.  If you click the button, it will automatically fill the time with the current time.  Or else, you can type the time in manually.

--Each day's log should be stored in some kind of database.  And there should be an option somewhere to export some date range of the database as a .csv, or tab-deliimited file, or something universal like that.

If anyone can do it, much thanks!

superboyac:
I don't want to be too pushy, but if someone was able to make this thing, it would be greatly appreciated.  There is some unfair persecution going on at our work right now, and I want to secretly have some hard evidence on file in case some unfortunate circumstances arise.

Thanks again.

mouser:
If you click the button, it will automatically fill the time with the current time.  Or else, you can type the time in manually.
--- End quote ---

ps. i know there are timeclock type apps around, but dont know if there are any free ones to do what you want; since your needs seem simple enough this seems like a reasonable task.

though it sounds like something you might want to do as a web app (php, ruby).
this sounds like a good assignment for me to post in the programming school actually.

maybe you can elaborate a little more about your needs - like how much do you want implemented to prevent people from putting in fake data, clocking in for each other, etc.

superboyac:
Thanks mouser, if it's easy enough for the class, that would be great.  I'll be selfish and tell you my needs for the program.  Of course, if anyone want s to add additional features, you're more than welcome:

--don't worry about any security features, as far as fake data and stuff.  It's pretty much the honor system.  Besides, I want to be able to manually edit the times in case I forget to login one time or something.  That's why I want there to be a button that logs the time OR you can just manually type it in.

--All the events should have a start time and a stop time.  And you should be able to have multiple events started at the same time.  I found a freeware program out there that would automatically stop another event when you started another one.  So it could only do one at a time.  But just because I go on break doesn't mean I'm checking out of work for good.  All events are independant of each other.

--in the reports or the export feature, I'd like the rows to be organized by day, and the columns by the start/stop time of the events.  All the events for that day should appear on the same row, even if some didn't happen (at least have a placeholder).

Anyway, that's all I can think of.  It's cool if no one wants to do it, I kind of posted this in the heat of the moment.

PS. mouser, could you tell me the names of some of the programs you know of (even if it's not free) that can do this?

brett:
Superboyac

Heres a AHK script that might fit in,
Titlelog v1.exe

Download exe and copy to a chosen directory.
When run
- creates a subfolder called 'Titlelog' . this is where the text logs are created
- will create a text file each day with the Title of each focused window appended to the file, (date,time,windowtitle)
- Trayicon has six(6) simple windows that are configurable in the preferences.
- Has a idle time in preferences that logs if PC not used for 'x' minutes

To use
when going to Lunch. Right click on trayicon and select 'Gone to Lunch'.
This will pop a simple window to the desktop.
Titlelog will append to file the date,time,windowtitle.

This should give a simple log of the PC activity for the day.
I will use this myself as my own timesheet when I am in the office, so thanks for the idea.

@mouser, please still do a programming school, I can see many potential uses for this. and I want to learn from others.

feedback and suggestions welcome
thanks
doublebogey

*Edit* new files uploaded after idle bug found

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version