ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Backup Guide

External Harddrive Problems....

<< < (2/4) > >>

kfitting:
*most* of the time it's only when trying to view the files from the external drive.  I dont think it happens when just copying from external to internal (though once I get the I/O error on a file it appears to be corrupted), I havent tested it enough to be sure, but it seems to happen only when viewing.  It did happen once when I tried to view pictures from the drive.  I was using an image viewer similar to windows viewer (brings up the picture and allows you to flip through all pics in folder) and after a few pictures it gave the I/O error. 

Kevin

nudone:
the speed thing sounds right to be honest - it would be painfully obvious if it was transferring stuff at usb 1 speed.

if it's just the video files that are the problem then it sounds like a bandwidth problem or access speed problem - i don't really know what i'm talking about.

the files that you say are corrupt - does it still say they are corrupt after rebooting the laptop and restarting the external drive? i wouldn't be surprised if there is nothing wrong with them.

all these sort of problems sound kind of familiar but it's that long ago i can't be more helpful as to what the problem or the solution was.

have you used the laptop with many other usb devices? the fault might not be the external drive at all???

mouser:
given your description i dont think its a bandwidth issue,
and i think you are very right to expend whatever effort is required to solve this problem.

my lesson with hds is that these kinds of issues are like god's way of telling you to prepare for a major hd disaster.

its highly likely that this issue will eventually end up corrupting your entire external hd master boot record.
so backup anything you have on their that is irreplacable and continue your efforts to diagnose and fix the problem.

mouser:
it wouldnt surprise me terribly if it were a hardware problem, either with hd or enclosure.
first job is figure out which one.

kfitting:
heh heh, just got the drive yesterday and was playing around BEFORE backing stuff up.  The only files I have on it are the ones I'm testing with!  I'm going to try what Nudone said about seeing if the corruption is actually there or if it's just something screwy that a reboot will fix.  USB is working fine on my machine: keyboard, mouse, joystick, digital camera, internet, mp3 player upload, two hubs... seems to work!  I was thinking about trying to disconnect as much as possible and see if that had any effect on things.  Worth a shot!

Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version