ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Capture windows of various programs into one window with tabs

<< < (2/3) > >>

app103:
I don't think this is something you'd want to use for every app - after all that's what a task bar is far - but it *could* be handy for creating custom "groups" of apps, if you want, sort of like custom desktops (except I find those more cumbersome than I'm imagining this to be). This would be similar to XP's default "group similar taskbar items" I suppose, except I hate that. This would at least be customizable - only the apps you chose would end up in a given container. So for example let's say I'm working on coding a web page. I have my design app open (Nvu), 3 or more browsers for testing (Firefox, Opera, IE), a graphics app for doing my web images (ImageReady perhaps), and at least one and probably several folders open for quick file access. Now I also have my email app, Winamp, IM client (with multiple chat windows - could be tabbed, but I prefer not), 2 VNC windows, and a Word file open. A good half of the icons on my taskbar could be "collapsed" into one with a system like that suggested. It would be my "web design workspace" so to speak.
-JavaJones (August 04, 2006, 01:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

That is precisely what I had in mind.

I'd love to have all my chat clients in one window (ares/irc/mx),
web design project in another (PSP, browsers, folders, notepad2, etc),
browser windows in another (I have an odd way of utilizing tabs...all related pages are in one window...but I have multiple instances open with different subjects in each: 1 for email, 1 dc forum, one for the current topic I am researching, etc)

You should see what a disorganized mess of taskbar buttons I have when I am really busy multitasking.

It gets worse when stuff likes to minimize to the tray like the chat clients do...I start to forget which I have open.

A long time ago (2001) there was a browser called Crystalport AppCapture 5.1 that allowed you to do exactly what I described. Unfortunately the company that released it disappeared and you can no longer purchase a full version, nor are there any updates/upgrades/tech support any more.  And I can't seem to get that version to run on my PC. I can only seem to get the older version without the AppCapture, that I paid for, to work. (4.6.5 standard)

kfitting:
I know many people here read ShellCity so I may be repeating what people already know, but they have a small app that appears (I have NOT tried it yet) to do what is requested here.  Alpha so beware!

http://redllar.virtualplastic.net/fungustabs.html

Kevin

app103:
I am going to give this FungusTabs a try...seems like it would be perfect.

JavaJones:
FungusTabs seems pretty cool. Is it being actively developed? I saw no dates on the website (cursory glance). Let us know how it is app!

- Oshyan

app103:
The idea of FungusTabs seems to be much better than the actual software.

It is very buggy.

The following is just one instance of bugginess:

My daughter stuck all her AIM conversations together with it and the very first XP lockup on this pc occurred when she tried to separate one from the group. (can you say 'reset button'?)

She doesn't want to forgive me for losing the entire text of an IM from her boyfriend in the Navy, that was lost during the reset. She has saved every IM conversation she has ever had with him up until now. She uses an older version of AIM that doesn't have automatic logging because she hates the newer versions. (they confuse her)

To have this conversation, she kicked me out of the chair while I had much going on, many open windows which I minimized so she could have the conversation with him. Everything I was doing at the time was also lost.

I have also had a few problems with windows that minimize to tray while the tabs are locked with other windows.

Right now, with the current version of FungusTabs, you are risking losing work in progress.

I think I will wait and see if they update it before I run it again. But this will be perfect for me if they manage to get the bugs out.

Definitely a program to keep your eyes on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version