ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Backup Guide

Information about Backup4all 2.3.2

<< < (2/5) > >>

kfitting:
zridling, you mentioned just synching instead... can you list some programs that do this?  I'm looking for a program that doesnt put my backups into ANY proprietary format so I dont need some fancy software to access them.  I just cant find that many programs that do this!  Maybe I just dont know how to search or am missing something obvious! Thanks,

Kevin

GuidoZ:
I've been using a no-frills freeware (for personal, non-business use) program for years and I love it! I recommend it to all my clients (I own a computer repair shop and do security consulting) and use it myself to this day.

The program is called "Karen's Replicator" and can be downloaded (along with a handful of other fantastic programs) at her website:
 - http://www.KarenWare.com/

It's remarkably simple to use and very intuative. It's can be used as a software implementation of RAID-1 (Mirroring), for simply backing up a set of files or folders, or for making incremental backups of the same. My only gripe is that you can't run it as a service (she tried to keep it simple) plus there isn't a way to minimize it to the tray by default. (I use one of the hundreds of tray managers out there to peform this.) Beyond that, it's golden. Highly recommended!

--
Peace. ~G

zridling:
Karen Kenworthy is a genius in my small world, but Kevin the two best synching apps I know are:

__(1) DirSync by ArcherSoft, which I've found to be the most accurate of all, and
__(2) SyncBack SE, which has been around for while, but is more complex.

I use DirSync to backup my shareware/freeware to a second drive each night, and then once a week copy it all onto DVD without compression. What I do compress, I use WinRAR for its solid archive and recovery abilities.

Softland:
Hi all,
We have recently updated Backup4all to version 3. Here is a small list with changes:

[*]Backup locked or open files (XP/2003, NTFS)
[*]Backup to FTP
[*]Email notifications
[*]AES encryption (128, 192 and 256-bit)
[*]New scheduler (runs as a service)
[*]*\folder\* patterns in the exclude and include filters
[*]Store local catalogs
[*]Independent spanned backups
[*]Added secondary built-in burning engine
[*]Delete sources after successful backup
[*]Delete empty directories
[*]Predefined backup for Outlook Express
[*]"Create shortcut" feature enhanced
[*]Design improvements
[/list]

Full list of changes: Version history
30-day trial version: Backup4all 3 (direct link, about 6.8MB)
The 20% discount is valid with the same coupon: MINDSHARE

Softland:
Backup4all 3.8 is available. Main improvement is the Vista compatibility.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version