ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Backup Guide

Information about Backup4all 2.3.2

(1/5) > >>

Softland:
Hello all,
My name is Claudiu and I represent Softland - developers of Backup4all (the backup software that I wanted to give you more information about).

Backup4all 2.3.2 main features:

* The program allows you to create zip backup copies of single files or file folders of virtually any size (supports zip64). You can access it with any zip compatible utility.
* The program may save backup copies to the local hard drive, CD, DVD or upload them via LAN
* The software has its own built-in CD/DVD burning support. You can use also UDF format to burn your CDs/DVDs using a packet writing software
* Other features of the program include the following: compression ratio change, password protection, disk spanning, backup statistics, extra actions/programs to perform before and/or after backup execution, command line support, play sounds when backup is finished, erase CD/DVD tool, one touch backup option and more (see http://www.backup4all.com/features.php)
* Backup4all is available in the following languages: German, French, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, Czech, Polish, Chinese Traditional, Russian, Turkish and Romanian

Backup4all v.2.3.2 performs all four backup types: full backup, differential backup, incremental backup and mirror backup. Using the wizard you can easily set up any backup configuration you wish. You can define powerful file filters and schedule your backups any way you want. Once a backup is performed, you can see what files changed since the last backup using the explorer-like tree view or you can read the statistics about the next backup execution

More information about Backup4all: http://www.backup4all.com
There is a 30-day trial version available for download: http://www.backup4all.com/download/setup/b4asetup.exe (direct link, about 4MB)
If you would like to receive a 20% discount on the final order page just enter this coupon code: MINDSHARE. Backup4all has 3 versions and the prices are $25 (mirror edition), $30(classic edition) and $45(professional edition).

If this post is in anyway offending or contains unappropriate remarks please feel free to delete it.

mouser:
Thanks for posting Claudiu-

The post is very appropriate for this section and in fact i will also make a link to it from our discount section.

It's always nice to hear from companies and even nicer when they provide a discount to our members.

So, welcome to the site, and i hope our members take the time to check out the program and perhaps offer some useful comments about it.

Softland:
Thank you too mouser.

mouser:
here are my impressions after playing with backup4all.  i will be adding these to the current review.

bottom line: i was positively stunned at how good backup4all was - BUT it still has a couple issues that could use improvement.

the company who makes backup4all made a post on the forum and posted a code for 20% discount on there backup4all app.
thought i would just share my thoughts on the program after evaluating it a bit.

first the good stuff:

* First, i think the basic organization of the program, and its feature set are fantastic; maybe the best ive seen in any document backup app. i think they did an extraordinarily good job of organizing the process of making backups.
* Using zip file format was great decision.
* great incremental versioned backups (but see comments below)
* super easy to use

then the stuff that could use some improvement:

* seems somewhat slower than the other backup tools i've tried
* Initially i was put off by the unusual button icons, but that's a simple aesthetic issue and others may have a different impression. 
* one other feature i couldn't find and would recommend highly if you don't currently support it (and i didnt see it): ability to specify *folder* patterns in the exclude and include filters.
* the options pages (wizard) when setting up a new project are superb - maybe the clearest i've seen.  but one thing that would be nice is
having a "help" button on each page of the wizard that would take person to help page relevant for that subject.  it would really be useful for things like choosing the type of backup, etc.
* issues with exploring catalogs (see below)

extra comments:
I'm a very big advocate of versioned backups, and backup4all seems to do a very good job of it.

But it can be very difficult to find out what files were added to each backup set, and to in general search for modified files, etc.

I discovered that the restore wizard actually has a nice way of letting you explore each different backup operation and thus study which files were saved each time.

What i would really like to see is some integration into the main exploration display some more flexible ways of browsing through backup sets.  for example maybe being able to select specific backup sets and see the files added, or the ability to search for a particular file by name and see versions.

I really love the way when navigating to a file the program shows a list of all versions and their dates, and lets me view or restore any version (though it was sometimes excrutiatingly slow to retrieve files from older sets)

i think with a few changes backup4all could likely win our best document backup tool were we to conduct it again, and could win it when we revisit the issue in 2006.  The general interface and ease-of-use far exceed Genie Backup.

BUT i would like to suggest that backup4all authors look at the Catalog view in Genie Backup, it allows you to explore and search the incremental backup
sets, and does a very good job of it, and i think this is something that i would really miss using backup4all.

its probably the only area which would give me pause in recommending backup4all.

zridling:
[mouser]: ...i was put off by the unusual button icons...

Coincidentally that was my first impression, too. I purchased Backup4all a version ago, but never used it much. After some crushing experiences with the ZIP format across a several programs, I abandoned it in favor of either RAR or just no compression at all, and just synching everything instead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version