topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:05 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Story of the development of the famous Goldeneye 007 videogame  (Read 8118 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
A nice long article on the history of a very inflential first-person shooter game for the nintendo 64, called "Goldeneye 007".

This is a game I played and finished, and it was the best first person shooter I had played up until that point.

The Nintendo 64’s GoldenEye 007 — or GoldenEye 64, as it’s often known — is seen as one of the system’s all-time classics. Aug. 25, 2018, will be the game’s 21st birthday (allowing Bond to finally taste one of his revered cocktails), so we reached out to the people who played, reviewed and created the game to see how it all came together, way back in 1997. From the multiplayer being added as an afterthought to the game almost having every Bond actor ever, the game you and your buddies logged hours on — paintballing in the Stack or shooting Boris in the balls — was almost something very, very different...

from OsNews.com

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Story of the development of the famous Goldeneye 007 videogame
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 09:47 AM »
I love reading articles like this.  Great game; still own it and the N64.   For multiplayer, I cobbled together a 4-way audio/video splitter to connect to four separate TVs (CRTs, of course!).  I then cut cardboard pieces to cover each TV's non-player screens so each player couldn't see where all the other players were.   :Thmbsup:  Get a group of friends together and it was hours of utter mayhem and shit-talking.  Damnit, I wish I had a picture of that setup.    :P

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 10:11 AM »
@skwire Your setup remind me on my LANparty days with Pc  :-*
CounterStrike, Unreal, Quake, Doom, Duke Nukem and such for violent gaming or StarCraft, Command & Conquer, Empire Earth for gaming with Brain
Of course mostly in dark basement played, while mom served food hehe

Anyway, GoldenEye i've also loved to multi-play, awesome game, for myself, i felt it was unbalanced.
Before all that, Amiga with 4 Joystick Adapter was the thing that consumes alot of time... damn, where is my Timemachine, good old days *miss*

Thank you for this nice memory

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 10:21 AM »
@skwire Your setup remind me on my LANparty days with Pc

I used to throw LAN parties back in the day, too.  The following pics are circa 2000-2001.

pizza_time_03.jpgStory of the development of the famous Goldeneye 007 videogame

server_rack_03.jpgStory of the development of the famous Goldeneye 007 videogame

23_switch.jpgStory of the development of the famous Goldeneye 007 videogame

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Jesus, you have/had great Hardware.
All we had (middle of 1990) was a lousy Pc acting as Server connected over 16port switch running Linux Bash. My images are real photos, if i find time, i digitalize some and share.
We build with curtains Monitor covers so no one could watch others, dont ask how often curtains torn down in hectic moments (fragged ^^)

Snack plates ohhhh what a memory

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 01:08 PM »
Sounds like the DonationCoder forum needs to be expanded with a new board: Nostalgia

Sure love the images shared, the good old days...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 01:23 PM »
I used to go to more formally organized ones.  I haven't been since Digital Overload (https://cad-comic.co...rload-tournaments-2/) closed up shop.  I used to go to one that was held at dragon*con too, but after they got larger, it was more corporate sponsored (read not-BYOC) instead of grassroots.  PAX East does seem to have a place for BYOC, so I was thinking about trying there, but more likely to go to PAX unplugged.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 05:02 PM »
All we had (middle of 1990) was a lousy Pc acting as Server connected over 16port switch running Linux Bash.

Hahaha...don't feel so bad.  My first LAN party, such as it was, was myself, my brother, and two friends, in my living room with an eight port hub, i.e., it wasn't even a switch!.  This was back in the dial-up days so to be able to play our favourite multiplayer games, without any lag, it was a life-altering experience at the time.