topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Passwords for networking Win XP and 2000  (Read 3719 times)

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Passwords for networking Win XP and 2000
« on: July 31, 2006, 04:51 AM »
Here's what I've got: a server running Win 2000, accessed by a number of machines running different flavours of Windows - 98, 2000, and now two machines running XP.  The 98 machines can get into the server just by double-clicking in Network Neighbourhood (and I'm not concerned with them at the moment), but the 2000 and XP machines need to enter a username and password.  No problem here, but it would be more convenient if this process could be automated, or even if XP would just remember the passwords.  I've mapped the server as a drive on each of the XP machines, but there's no option for remembering the password.  Anybody have any suggestions?

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Passwords for networking Win XP and 2000
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 09:01 PM »
Add accounts on the XP machine that have the same login credentials as the XP machines then give those users permissions on the shared folders. If both XP machines are running as Administrator with no password, you're a bad person. ;)

- Oshyan

mukestar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Passwords for networking Win XP and 2000
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 06:39 PM »
Or alternativly when mapping the drives selecting "Connect using a different user name" and using the user and pass to how its set up on the server. As long as reconnect at login is selected it should remeber the name and pass.