ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

InstantBoss - For those of us which require motivation to work

<< < (5/13) > >>

big-emmee:
 :) Great little program. Heard about it via anti-procrastination group!! Excellent to use with GTD style planning; Flylady style; etc etc.
I've been using it for a couple of days now and find it totally suitable to my needs. So thanks heaps for this and I'll definitely tell others about it.
A couple of things I'd like to see:
1. Many 'timer' programs have the alarm set up so that it requires to be turned off by the user. I'd find this helpful with this program, as currently it is really only effective when sitting in front of the screen. It would be more beneficial if the alarm could be set so that it could be heard around home/office in case tasks require 'away from desk' actions.
2. I'd like to see the total work to date set up so that this could be deleted. With many varied tasks usually unrelated, it is a bit useless. Ideally, it would be fabulous to have it so that the timer could be set to 'task 1/task 2/ task 3 etc' but I've no idea of programming so this could be real pie-in-the-sky stuff.
3. Ummm...cheeky but hey, worth asking. Anyone know of a palm version for this? How good would this be if it was portable too!!! Just a thought!

All in all - just love it. Thanks heaps,
Emily

tomos:
anti-procrastination group!!
--- End quote ---
that sounds interesting ?

big-emmee:
anti-procrastination group!!
--- End quote ---
that sounds interesting ?
-tomos (October 04, 2006, 02:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yahoo group based on book "The Now Habit" http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheNowHabit/
It's helped me ;)
Emily

app103:
1. Many 'timer' programs have the alarm set up so that it requires to be turned off by the user. I'd find this helpful with this program, as currently it is really only effective when sitting in front of the screen. It would be more beneficial if the alarm could be set so that it could be heard around home/office in case tasks require 'away from desk' actions. -big-emmee (October 03, 2006, 07:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have been thinking about this. I want to be able to use it away from my pc, myself. I was thinking how great it would be to have an Instant Boss on a chain that I can wear around my neck...lol.

In the process of trying to make it more compatible with housework, without changing the code, I ran it on my kitchen PC, replacing the short wav files with full song wavs...nice & long...and turned up the speakers to the max.

Big mistake...maybe. I found a bug.  :-[

Program will hang till the song is over and there is no way to kill the song once it starts playing. I have to fix that.  I'll also have to add a repeat option. Might even add an option to have it turn up the volume when playing the wav and restore it when it is done.  For now, if you replace the wavs, keep them short.

There will also be an option, that was requested, to pause after a certain length of system idle time in case you walk away and forget to pause it. I am still working on how to implement this effectively for 9x users where it won't suck up a lot of system resources. I have a personal commitment to 9x users till my kitchen PC dies. It's a promise I made that I won't back down from.

2. I'd like to see the total work to date set up so that this could be deleted. With many varied tasks usually unrelated, it is a bit useless. Ideally, it would be fabulous to have it so that the timer could be set to 'task 1/task 2/ task 3 etc' but I've no idea of programming so this could be real pie-in-the-sky stuff.
--- End quote ---

The total work to date is more inspirational in nature. It's supposed to show you how productive you are becoming and encourage you to keep going....same with the other total that shows the work you have done this session, although that total can be used for more practical purposes, too.

I have plans on adding options for you to define tasks and be able to select them and credit time towards them. And logging of work & break time. And charts & graphs that will show various data about what you are doing with your time...how much you have spent on various projects, etc. Also as I mentioned before, an option to set an amount for those that bill by the hour to calculate the total cost of work done on projects. (handy for the self employed)

When I add this (it won't be for awhile...it will be a lot of work) there will be a lot more control with resetting totals.

3. Ummm...cheeky but hey, worth asking. Anyone know of a palm version for this? How good would this be if it was portable too!!! Just a thought!
--- End quote ---

I am sorry. I don't own a palm and I only program for Windows. At best I might be able to provide a Linux version some day in the distant future...or possibly one for Pocket PC. (don't hold your breath though)

All in all - just love it. Thanks heaps,
Emily
--- End quote ---

I am glad you like it. It's very encouraging when someone uses your software, likes it, and tells you about it. Thanks!  :D

big-emmee:
Woo hoo :D
Your plans sound terrific!!  :up:Just love it! I'm recommending it left, right and centre lol!! Truly, I've had all sorts of dumb timer programs, as they were all going to make time management easier - but this one actually makes sense! All the others take ages to change and customise - this is easy and efficient. With your planned changes, well, doesn't get much better.
Also, I only see quick responses from programmers infrequently. Terrific to see that you care enough about your products.
Thanks and congratulations,
Emily

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version