ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

InstantBoss - For those of us which require motivation to work

<< < (4/13) > >>

housetier:
And if you are getting tired of this Boss, you can vent your feelings with boss bitching.  ;)
Be warned of rude language, however.  :o

mouser:
house, lol  ;D

tomos:
While RSI prevention tools do seem to have something in common with Instant Boss, at first, there is a big difference between the 2:

* RSI prevention tools try to get you to work less and take more breaks. (great for the workaholic that works to the point of it being unhealthy)
* Instant Boss tries to get you to work more and rewards you with breaks. (great for the procrastinator that doesn't really want to work)-app103 (August 07, 2006, 11:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm happily using Boss for both reasons.
but...

One thing I notice is:
when I get prompted to take a break & I select "work longer", it no longer prompts me to take a break. I'd like to see that included personally for two reasons:
1) I'm often surfin when i should be workin, so when i take a break I know I gotta get back to WORK instead of whatever...
2) Unfortunately, when I'm actually working, I work mostly with the mouse - if i dont take breaks I end up getting tennis elbow or whatever its called
-tomos (August 02, 2006, 05:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

I believe #1 is a big factor for a lot of people. Lets face it, if we're sitting in front of the computer & NOT working, the "Boss" isn't going to know, so if it pops up, even to say "take a break", it's still helping the work "regime".
Because of that I dont use the "work longer" option any more (cause then I'm just left alone) but use the skip break instead.. (postpone break X mins could be an option as well)

I used Workrave a good bit last winter but find I much prefer the Boss. Cant remember exactly why i stopped using it - I think it nagged a bit too much and would think i was working when at lunch or whatever & then tell me I reached my limit for the day:- nag nag   :)

app103:
2 upcoming features I am working on right now:

* Option to pause after a certain user specified length of system idle time and/or if screensaver is activated. (in case you forget to pause it when needed)
* Remind user to take a break at intervals, if work longer is selected. (same 50% extension method used by the take a longer break feature)
Just give me some time and you'll have both of those. I am not that fast and feature #1 is giving me some troubles.

tomos:
Just give me some time ...
-app103 (August 15, 2006, 10:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

didnt mean to put you under pressure   :-[  :)
(the "nag nag " was related to workrave not directed at you ... !!!!  :) )

you have some great ideas too:
"I was also considering features that would make it good for the self employed that bill by the hour, allowing them to log how much work was done on a project, and to enter a rate of pay so that total billing cost can be calculated."

--- End quote ---

but again as i say:
 I'm happily using THE Boss as is  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version