topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Wanted: Android app to transfer new pictures from card reader  (Read 6403 times)

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm trying to set up my dad with a way to back up his camera SD card to his new android tablet. I'm doing some testing on my tablet first.

The procedure is pretty straightforward (for me). I use Total Commander to navigate to the usb (OTG) card-reader device, select the desired files, copy/paste to a local directory.

This is not going to work for my dad. He's used to Picasa which magically opens when he inserts a card, offers to transfer new pictures (no duplicates), and also imports them to his library. He doesn't know (nor care) where on the PC they're stored.

So I'm looking for either
  • A photo-editing program for android which incorporates import-from-USB, or
  • A small utility which copies files without much fuss, selecting only new pictures/videos automatically.

As usual there are hundreds, if not thousands, of apps in the Play store which have names relating to what I want, but the dozen or so most promising all failed to achieve this.

I'm also looking into creating some sort of TotalCommander macro which may help, but a dedicated app would be better.

Thanks,
Eric

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Wanted: Android app to transfer new pictures from card reader
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 06:02 PM »
What's wrong with Picasa? Did it stop working? As far as I know you can still use it if you can find a download for it.

But assuming Picasa is no longer an option:

Dropbox can automatically sync photos and videos from your Android device to a folder on your PC. No need to even physically connect to two devices together. Then you can move them to a more permanent storage location so as to not use up all of your free Dropbox cloud storage.

You could perhaps combine Dropbox with a TotalCommander macro which will move the files from Dropbox to his image/video library every few days.

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 06:11 PM »
Picasa is for PC, I'm looking for Android. He still uses Picasa.

I'm interested in getting pictures from a SD card onto an android tablet.

Thanks,
eric

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 07:17 PM »
Ah, right. I misunderstood and thought he wanted the photos/images off the Android device onto his PC. Sorry.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 12:17 AM »
Most want to go the other way, Android -> SD Card, but you can try an automation app like:
Tasker (not free) - has an SD Card mount/unmounted event
Automate (free has IAPs but no ads) - has a storage mounted event

There may be others that have a suitable event which you can use to either execute a command within the app or has a plugin to allow it to control another app, (eg. file manager).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 08:09 AM by 4wd »

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 01:52 PM »
OK, I've made progress. There's a few apps that allow automated copy, but first I had to root the device, which enables the use of an app called "StickMount" which mounts the attached card drive as a local directory in an accessible location (i.e. it appears to be in the internal memory).

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 06:52 PM »
I'm not sure if this works for your use or you're still looking, but there's an android app called SyncThing that might fit your needs: https://syncthing.net/