topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Custom WinPE build  (Read 30426 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Custom WinPE build
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2018, 10:18 PM »
I guess that could have been taken multiple ways.  I meant I can't find the installer for x86/x64 devices.  The installers for other processors are on that page.

These seem to be the instructions: Flashing with eMMC (for Up Squared, other Intel devices)

Geared towards eMMC flashing but it has links to the image and how to create a USB version, should be able to use the info to get somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:24 PM by 4wd »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 10:37 PM »
I guess that could have been taken multiple ways.  I meant I can't find the installer for x86/x64 devices.  The installers for other processors are on that page.

Mea culpa. Admittedly I didn't click the link, and I only skimmed your quote and didn't catch that it said it was for x86/64 devices. I wasn't aware that any x86/x64 IoT devices existed. I took it for granted that they were all built on ARM architecture. :-[

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2018, 10:52 PM »

Mea culpa. Admittedly I didn't click the link, and I only skimmed your quote and didn't catch that it said it was for x86/64 devices. I wasn't aware that any x86/x64 IoT devices existed. I took it for granted that they were all built on ARM architecture. :-[

Even though that quote says there's one for x86/x64, I think that what you've said above is closer to truth after looking a bit more.

ManSamVampire

• Participant
  • Joined in 2019
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2019, 08:01 AM »
Sorry for waking up an old thread. I believe that the OP has had his problem solved already. However, I would like to bring the future visitors' attention to another WinPE build which is not very popular.

Also, I feel that this is probably the best answer to the original query:-
I have been trying with frustratingly little success to create a custom WinPE build to act as a lightweight OS for an arcade cabinet.
AOMEI PE Build Environment (see attached screenshot) is a very light WinPE build which contains the basic Windows PE with simple explorer shell and networking capabilities integrated out of the box. Although the attached screenshot is of it running in a VM, it does work properly with actual hardware too.
Screenshot (11)_LI.jpgCustom WinPE build

Please note that I am not referring to AOMEI PE builder - The PE builder software uses the PE building environment provided above and adds some recovery tools to it to create a recovery-oriented build. This is undesired, hence we directly use the base environment from the above link.

Download the archive -> Extract the boot.wim -> Either use it as a RAMdisk or apply the image and use it like an OS  :)

Btw, do you have a solution for the (free and forced, but usually undesired) reboot after running Win PE for 72 hours?
Check this out. But I've never tried it myself because my use case never exceeds 72 hours.