topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • August 22, 2018, 02:19 AM
  • Proudly celebrating 13 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Et Tu, CCleaner!  (Read 315 times)

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Et Tu, CCleaner!
« on: August 06, 2018, 06:38 AM »
CCleaner 5.45 has been pulled from distribution after a firestorm of criticism last week when users reported that the new version was collecting usage data and sending it back to Piriform.

Martin Brinkmann has a detailed report on the new "features" on ghacks and bluntly advises against installing this version.

This is the second major security SNAFU since Piriform was acquired by Avast.

As a long time user of CCleaner, I now feel it's time to look for a replacement.

Suggestions?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Et Tu, CCleaner!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 07:10 AM »
Considering it has continued to try and access the net since v5.35, (Sept 2017), despite being told not to, why is this a surprise?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 09:51 AM »
Yeah, I have been a user of CCleaner for a long time now, but it's been getting to the point where I'm very cautious when I download and install it to make sure it's not installing adware, etc.

rsteward

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Looks like they've rolled back to 5.44.6577.  :-[

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 02:07 PM »
System Ninja is an alternative. But keep in mind that it is more aggressive in cleaning up. While I myself have not experienced any troubles with it, others have. Or, at least they claim to have.

Then again, I must add that 90% of all the tools that I use are "portable". Most of the tools that do not have such a mode as an option, can either be gotten from sites such as portableapps.com or winpenpack. and if you strike out there, you can use a tool like 'Cameo' to create a (semi-)portable version of the tool.

CCleaner won't be able to affect the workings of such applications and the same is true for System Ninja. All of the above is mentioned just to clarify that results may vary on your system.

On topic:
At least it is still nice to read that companies still listen to the reactions of their users.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 04:30 PM »
As a long time user of CCleaner, I now feel it's time to look for a replacement.

Suggestions?

BleachBit?
When your computer is getting full, BleachBit quickly frees disk space. When your information is only your business, BleachBit guards your privacy. With BleachBit you can free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn't know was there. Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean thousands of applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari,and more. Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster. Better than free, BleachBit is open source.
Endorsed, I believe, by the team of a certain famous Democrat  ;)