ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Need Desktop icon to run Brother Control Center 4 (CC4 system tray program)

<< < (4/9) > >>

cyberdiva:
I recently had a similar wish to have a desktop icon that I could click on to get quick access to Control Center 4. I tried a number of things that seem similar to what timmy2 described at the start, and like timmy2, I had no success. My husband then suggested simply going into the Start Menu's All Programs and clicking on Brother (our printer). This produced a list of items, one of which was Control Center 4. I then just dragged that item to the desktop, and voilĂ , I had a desktop icon.  When I click on it, it produces the box I want with icons for the 4 Scan options: Image, OCR, E-mail, and File.  I should add that the CC4 version is 4.2.461.1, and my computer runs Windows 7 Prof. 64-bit. CC4 is apparently in the Startup menu, but I have not given it permission to start at the computer's startup, and Win Patrol assures me that it is currently not running.

I hope this may prove helpful.

skwire:
After changing the Mode to Advanced your shortcut app worked perfectly. So two shortcut apps are needed, one for Home and one for Advanced. Simple as that.-timmy2 (August 12, 2018, 10:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

No need for two shortcut apps; I combined it all in one.  See below.

If you wrote it in Autoit or AutoHotKey would you mind sharing the source? I'd love to see how you did it.
-timmy2 (August 12, 2018, 10:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Please download this again and try it.  It should work with either the home or advanced mode.  I've also included the extremely simple source file.  BTW, you can rename the EXE filename to something other than CC4_Tool if you so desire.

http://www.dcmembers.com/skwire/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/apps/snacks/CC4_Tool.zip

timmy2:
Thank you, thank you, thank you skwire.  :Thmbsup:

In the event another Brother CC4 user finds this thread I should add that your shortcut will not open CC4 if it hasn't already been opened at least once since booting into Windows. To overcome this I went to ControlCenter4 Preferences and enabled "Open the main window on ControlCenter startup". This does cause CC4's program window to open during Windows startup, but that's a small price to pay to have it loaded and ready to use like any other program.

skwire:
Thank you, thank you, thank you skwire.-timmy2 (August 13, 2018, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

You are very welcome.  Happy to help and thank you for your patience on this one.

I should add that your shortcut will not open CC4 if it hasn't already been opened at least once since booting into Windows.-timmy2 (August 13, 2018, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is easy enough to add if the path is consistent across different computers.  If so, let me know the path and I can adjust the code accordingly.  Alternately, I'll see if the path is in the registry as well.

timmy2:
I think it's safe enough to count on this path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\ControlCenter4\..." but how will you "add" it (I presume you me run it) and achieve anything different from using its built-in preference option to "open main window at startup"? As I wrote previously, the only catch is that the main window does indeed open on the desktop, which is a little disconcerting to a user who has no immediate need to use CC4 and must close the window. Now, if it could open minimized, especially minimized to the system tray, that would be a neat trick.  What are you proposing?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version