topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 11:12 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Progress towards v1.2  (Read 8964 times)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Progress towards v1.2
« on: September 06, 2006, 05:16 PM »
First: I hope to have v1.2 (or a beta) ready by the 15th.

Second: for some reason v1.1 wasn't uploaded to the site before now - blame is probably on me. So even though it was done on April 11th, you've all been missing stuff like text-find until today, doh.

What will v1.2 bring?

A better way of saving. Saving to the executable of a running program isn't possbible under windows (at least not without some very dirty tricks), so one has to jump through some hoops. The new way is still a bit bothersome, but better than the old. What this means to you is that fSekrit will not "flicker in and out of existance" when saving. (mostly done, needs extensive testing)

Somewhat more secure, by using a non-zero IV (techy stuff ;P). (done)

Custom font support, as per request. Per-user registry setting. Currently debating with myself whether to add a GUI font selection, or require the user to regedit. (done - unless you people want GUI).

Import and export of text files, because copy/paste can be a bit tedious. Also, it seems that the win9x clipboard is limited to ~12kb of text?, so this is needed for win9x support. (not started yet, should be easy)

Better win9x support. By creating a ~1meg note on NT and loading on Win98, I found out that large notes are read just fine by - but when saving, only ~60kb makes it to the file. (shouldn't be too hard to fix)
- carpe noctem

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Progress towards v1.2
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 05:20 PM »
What will v1.2 bring?
Somewhat more secure, by using a non-zero IV (techy stuff ;P). (done)
Even more? Cool!!  8)

Import and export of text files, because copy/paste can be a bit tedious. Also, it seems that the win9x clipboard is limited to ~12kb of text?, so this is needed for win9x support. (not started yet, should be easy)
Would it be possible for it to import other notes, so that updating can be easier? (not a big deal, just scratch it if it's hard to implement)

Better win9x support. By creating a ~1meg note on NT and loading on Win98, I found out that large notes are read just fine by - but when saving, only ~60kb makes it to the file. (shouldn't be too hard to fix)
Nah... Let 9x users burn in their own hell..  :Wizard: (just kidding of course! i think they'll definitelly appreciate that update ;) )

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 05:31 PM »
Would it be possible for it to import other notes, so that updating can be easier? (not a big deal, just scratch it if it's hard to implement)
It sure is possible and not too hard to implement, but it would add a bit more code "bloat". I've already taken a hit by upgrading to visual studio 2005, it's runtime has increased a bit in size :/

I'm currently at ~100kb (~50kb compressed) for the release build, I hope to either cut off some of that, or remain at the same size, once all v1.2 features have been added. As long as uncompressed doesn't go above 128kb I'm happy enough. But I'm still considering some rewrites that'd enable me to not use the VS runtime... :)
- carpe noctem

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 01:04 AM »
brilliant.

Dronissimo

• Participant