ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

anyone know a tool to empty recycle bin when drive gets full?

<< < (3/3)

nudone:
i've never put this to the test but i've just been reading on the web that when the recycle bin becomes full you will receive a prompt asking you if you want to empty the recycle bin - i assume, again, that this isn't really what you are after, mouser.

mouser:
yeah i was really thinking of a non-interactive solution.
it actually is not a big deal for me, i have enough space so this shouldnt be an issue, i just fucked up once and thought, hmm there should be a better solution..

Scott:
I know of a freeware command-line tool that returns an errorlevel value of 0 or 1, based on whether or not the amount of free space you specify exists.  This could be put in a command script and run either manually, or by Task Scheduler.  Then, based on the errorlevel out of that, you'd simply run the Disk Cleanup utility (cleanmgr.exe), and empty the Recycle Bin.

It does do what you request, even if it seems kludgy...

The utility I mention is by Douglas Good, and is called IsFree.exe.  Doug seems to have fallen off the internet forever, but I have a copy of this utility, but I won't bother posting it since I doubt it is in line with what you want.

Sentinel:
Doh!  I knew there was something I forgot.  This may be overkill, as it does a lot more besides emptying the recycle bin when it reaches a set threshold.

http://www.undelete.com

It is a rather nice product, though just a little expensive if you only want it for automatically emptying the bin when the volume starts to get full.  :)

My company uses the server version as a first line recovery solution.  It saves us a lot of time and hassle by allowing us to avoid tape restores in 90% of deletions and corruptions.  Pesky users!

Scott:

I use Undelete (Home Edition -- and my how I love when vendors insist on having "editions" of software), but it's a complete Recycle Bin replacement, and doesn't (strictly speaking) meet mouser's requirements.  I find it very nice to have, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version