ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

setting up a secondary server for hosting member accounts

(1/2) > >>

mouser:
currently we host some member accounts on the main donationcoder.com web server.  this was our original plan to help pay for hosting costs.

i have come to the conclusion that we would all be better of with a secondary server for user accounts and backup.

i am migrating all accounts at donationcoder.com to the new server.

if all goes well you should simply be able to change the nameserver settings in your domain name and everything will work exactly as before.

i'm doing this mainly for security reasons but it will also let us mirror BOTH the user accounts and the main site on 2 dif servers so that we can switch between them if we ever have a more serious failure.

the second server is not nearly as powerful as our current one (its a $60 a month virtual private server), but it should be much faster/powerful than the normal account any individual would normally buy, and in fact due to all the cpu usage of donationcoder stuff, i suspect if anything it will result in faster access on your member accounts (though i know this wasnt an issue).

again,
you wont have to change anything except the nameserver configured at your domain name registrar.  everything else including emails, website, forums, etc. will be exactly the same.

-mouser
 [email protected]

mouser:
i'd like to perform this move in the next few days.. i will try to contact everyone by email.. if all goes smoothly you might not even notice the move.

mouser:
move is complete and went smoothly.

mitzevo:
sounded like a smooth operation then..  ;D :huh: :-[

housetier:
I didn't notice anything :D :D :D  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

mouser, does that mean you were able to hire professional hosting services?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version