topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SetACL Studio and Delprof2 are now *FREE* for individual/commercial use  (Read 6931 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Trying to recover files from an external today and was running up against permission problems so I thought I'd install SetACL Studio.

It's been mentioned a few times on DC, last being in 2015.

It was a commercial product with a 30 day free trial period, since January 2017 it has been free for personal and commercial use.

License code for SetACL Studio is on the Download page.

SetACL Studio is a management tool for Windows permissions. It combines powerful features with an extremely intuitive user interface. It works with files, folders, registry keys, printers, network shares, services and WMI objects. It supports very long file system paths and bypasses security to display information about the remotest corner of the system. And it has undo.

Delprof2 – User Profile Deletion Tool - Used to be free for personal use, now free for commercial use also.

Delprof2 is the unofficial successor to Microsoft’s Delprof which does not work with operating systems newer than Windows XP. Here are the main facts:

• Delprof2 is syntax compatible to the original Delprof, but more powerful
  • Delprof2 lets you explicitly specify which profiles to delete
  • Delprof2 bypasses security to delete profiles regardless of current permissions/owner
  • Delprof2 supports very long paths
  • Delprof2 works on all modern versions of Windows
  • Delprof2 is free for personal and commercial use

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice! I've been using the command line version of SetACL in a script, SetACL Studio looks very cool.
Thanks for letting us know :]

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sent the info to a (Windows hosting deployment) colleague, and he was a bit worried it might have a backdoor, now that it's turned into freeware... Anyone tried it in a walled garden yet, to see if it phones home?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I used it for 30 minutes or so today fixing permissions, it didn't access the network at all.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sent the info to a (Windows hosting deployment) colleague, and he was a bit worried it might have a backdoor, now that it's turned into freeware... Anyone tried it in a walled garden yet, to see if it phones home?

I just compared the installer I downloaded 20180626 to the installer I downloaded 20160430 and that has a Content Created date of 28/05/2013 01:20 - they are binary identical.

ie. w.r.t. your question, there's been no change in the binary since I downloaded it a year before it went freeware, (and probably since 2013).

No guarantee it doesn't have a backdoor but if it has it's been there a very long time with no-one the wiser.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Revisited this thread to download in order to get over some Dropbox issues with them changing permissions of documents. This piece of software is a lifesaver! Thanks for posting this!