ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Beware of punycode phishing attempts

<< < (4/4)

Stoic Joker:
I don't have firefox installed, but I opened this page in Edge, navigated to it (fine), copied the text from this page, and pasted it into Chrome, and it was fine....

I just got what you meant.  You right-clicked on it, and it pasted wrong.  Is that right?  I was selecting and copying it, and it was right.
-wraith808 (June 20, 2018, 11:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Correct, I'm using the context menu's copy link/copy shortcut options for the test, not the select and copy method.

hollowlife1987:
Correct, I'm using the context menu's copy link/copy shortcut options for the test, not the select and copy method.
-Stoic Joker (June 21, 2018, 06:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting that Edge and IE will convert it when copying it that way.

Actually the point I was driving at is the Windows shell itself fell for the exploit when I put the link on the Windows Clipboard and pasted it into the FireFox address bar. FF never got a chance to pass/fail, it was just being used for an edit field.

Case in point, copy the link to the clipboard and paste it into Notepad … It comes off the clipboard as apple.com
-Stoic Joker (June 19, 2018, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I really don't believe this is the case as other browsers fail (pass) when copying the link that way.  Also since copying from URL bar doesn't do it also its more of just the "copy link" feature in Edge and IE.  I tested in chrome as 3rd party browser and it doesn't convert it before it goes to clipboard.

KodeZwerg:
Simple Unicode, by using Clipboard it correctly convert text to  Unicode "0430 0440 0440 04CF 0435", my guess russian (kyrilic?) symbols are used that fake the text to "apple"

KodeZwerg:
Cyrillic (<- sorry if misspelled) Unicode to PunyCode Example app.Beware of punycode phishing attempts

edit
Why is my attachment now a .zip? Ive uploaded a smaller .7z !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version