topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3 - nothing but problems  (Read 8846 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3 - nothing but problems
« on: July 30, 2006, 05:02 AM »
Anyone else suffering from issues with IE7b3?

I downloaded it and decided that for a couple of days I would set it as my default browser to see how it stood up against Firefox.

There are a few nice touches - I like the RSS feeds feature (though it seems a little obscure how you try to read them) and I also like the TABs snapshot feature.

However I am having real issues with page rendering - I get a lot of pages unavailable errors when clicking refresh then displays it (this happens when I open a number of tabs simultaneously - like reading a groups of messages here). Also if more than one page is rendering at once I get errors on the pages - both scripting errors and also graphics that do not display properly. I have done all the usual IE tricks of emptying caches etc. but it makes no difference.

I am also finding the new 'security' features a right PITA ... even websites that are in my trusted zone still stop some active content from running. I have disabled all of the 'security features' in the trusted zone and disabled all the popup blockers, phishing filters etc. to see if there is a way to stop this but I still get bars saying "IE hasn't opened .... to ensure your security Click here for options" or pop ups saying there is a potential security issue. This is with websites that are explicitly listed as TRUSTED with all TRUSTED zone features set to allow !!! WTF !!!

Reminds me rather of my brief foray into trying Windows VISTA where you seem to spend 90% of your time removing 'security issue' dialogues from the screen to the point where you forget what you were trying to do. Maybe that is MS's answer to security issues - stop users doing anything so that there isn't a chance they can download any malware.

Back to firefox I think !
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 05:04 AM by Carol Haynes »

Baseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3 - nothing but problems
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 05:51 AM »
I find that it's very slow slower than the standard I.E....What helped me a bit was In Explorer go to Tools-Internet Options-Advanced-Security-'Enable Empty Temporary Internet files folder when browser is closed' This helped me a little. Other than that I've had No Issues...

But agreed, FF is much faster and more reliable...
GetBackData...Security Awareness...Beta Tester

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 06:02 AM »
I find the way it still handles bookmarks a real PITA.Absolutely lame.
Bookmark management is a huge deal in a browser if you ask me.Just as important as tab browsing.

I pretty sure it turn something on called Ctfmon,didn't have it pop up in my process' before install is all i know. >:(

Btw if your getting the ctfmon process--

Go to Control Panel, “Region and Language Options”, select “Languages”, “Details”, “Advanced” tab and check the box next to “Turn off advanced text services.” That will remove ctfmon from startup. BTW after you select “Details” if you select “Language Bar” you can permanently get rid of that annoying Language Bar toolbar. Of course if you use the functions supported by the Language Bar and ctfmon then you are stuck with it running in the background.

I found that in another forum i can't find the source at the moment,but it worked for me and i logged it away
in a text file for future reference. 

Baseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 07:06 AM »
I find the way it still handles bookmarks a real PITA.Absolutely lame.
Bookmark management is a huge deal in a browser if you ask me.Just as important as tab browsing.

I pretty sure it turn something on called Ctfmon,didn't have it pop up in my process' before install is all i know. >:(
 There seems to be a slight increase of speed once the above settings are in operation...PS: Thanks

Btw if your getting the ctfmon process--

Go to Control Panel, “Region and Language Options”, select “Languages”, “Details”, “Advanced” tab and check the box next to “Turn off advanced text services.” That will remove ctfmon from startup. BTW after you select “Details” if you select “Language Bar” you can permanently get rid of that annoying Language Bar toolbar. Of course if you use the functions supported by the Language Bar and ctfmon then you are stuck with it running in the background.

I found that in another forum i can't find the source at the moment,but it worked for me and i logged it away
in a text file for future reference. 
-tinyvillager (July 30, 2006, 06:02 AM)

Many thanks for the tip...
GetBackData...Security Awareness...Beta Tester

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 10:47 AM »
Useful tip - I had often wondered what ctfmon was - it always reappears when you remove it from startup. I knew it was from MS so just ignored it.

mukestar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 04:13 PM »
Does this version manage to properly render .PNG images , i.e it can handle .PNG with transparency alpha layers.

Test it out on

http://www.ncf.ca/~bh447/pngdemo/

Because quite frankly i cant be bothered to download IE7 :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 04:21 PM by mukestar »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 06:35 PM »
Gah, what is this damn "advanced text services" and why do I want it? Why is it installed by seemingly every MS app these days? Why not make it an optional and separate package that hooks into all these apps rather than bundling and auto-activating it with every one? Gah!

- Oshyan

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 06:53 PM »
Do those of you suffering from "CTFMON" Anxiety have office installed as well?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 06:36 PM »
I have office - but ctfmon is removed easily. I guess if I do an office repair anytime it will reappear!

mukestar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 06:19 PM »
Well does it render .PNG properly or not , huh... huh :tellme:

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 10:13 PM »
Yea, the png demo looks fine for me. IE7, however, broke StarDownloader for me, and I liked StarDownloader dammit! I'm still surprised that XP users will get IE7 as an update option later. That's cool or scary. I use Maxthon otherwise, and it cures a lot of annoyances.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 10:49 PM »
this is slightly off topic.. but is it just me or does that look like a bootleg woodstock sitting on snoopy's nose? something about him seems not quite kosher. actually now that i look at it, snoopy seems a bit fat there too..

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 10:55 PM »
mouser, while I normally wouldn't comment on something so obviously off-topic, I must agree, that woodstock looks wrong.  Probably bootleg.  :P
Insert Brilliant Sig line here