ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3 - nothing but problems

(1/3) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Anyone else suffering from issues with IE7b3?

I downloaded it and decided that for a couple of days I would set it as my default browser to see how it stood up against Firefox.

There are a few nice touches - I like the RSS feeds feature (though it seems a little obscure how you try to read them) and I also like the TABs snapshot feature.

However I am having real issues with page rendering - I get a lot of pages unavailable errors when clicking refresh then displays it (this happens when I open a number of tabs simultaneously - like reading a groups of messages here). Also if more than one page is rendering at once I get errors on the pages - both scripting errors and also graphics that do not display properly. I have done all the usual IE tricks of emptying caches etc. but it makes no difference.

I am also finding the new 'security' features a right PITA ... even websites that are in my trusted zone still stop some active content from running. I have disabled all of the 'security features' in the trusted zone and disabled all the popup blockers, phishing filters etc. to see if there is a way to stop this but I still get bars saying "IE hasn't opened .... to ensure your security Click here for options" or pop ups saying there is a potential security issue. This is with websites that are explicitly listed as TRUSTED with all TRUSTED zone features set to allow !!! WTF !!!

Reminds me rather of my brief foray into trying Windows VISTA where you seem to spend 90% of your time removing 'security issue' dialogues from the screen to the point where you forget what you were trying to do. Maybe that is MS's answer to security issues - stop users doing anything so that there isn't a chance they can download any malware.

Back to firefox I think !

Baseman:
I find that it's very slow slower than the standard I.E....What helped me a bit was In Explorer go to Tools-Internet Options-Advanced-Security-'Enable Empty Temporary Internet files folder when browser is closed' This helped me a little. Other than that I've had No Issues...

But agreed, FF is much faster and more reliable...

tinyvillager:
I find the way it still handles bookmarks a real PITA.Absolutely lame.
Bookmark management is a huge deal in a browser if you ask me.Just as important as tab browsing.

I pretty sure it turn something on called Ctfmon,didn't have it pop up in my process' before install is all i know. >:(

Btw if your getting the ctfmon process--

Go to Control Panel, “Region and Language Options”, select “Languages”, “Details”, “Advanced” tab and check the box next to “Turn off advanced text services.” That will remove ctfmon from startup. BTW after you select “Details” if you select “Language Bar” you can permanently get rid of that annoying Language Bar toolbar. Of course if you use the functions supported by the Language Bar and ctfmon then you are stuck with it running in the background.

I found that in another forum i can't find the source at the moment,but it worked for me and i logged it away
in a text file for future reference. 

Baseman:
I find the way it still handles bookmarks a real PITA.Absolutely lame.
Bookmark management is a huge deal in a browser if you ask me.Just as important as tab browsing.

I pretty sure it turn something on called Ctfmon,didn't have it pop up in my process' before install is all i know. >:(
 There seems to be a slight increase of speed once the above settings are in operation...PS: Thanks

Btw if your getting the ctfmon process--

Go to Control Panel, “Region and Language Options”, select “Languages”, “Details”, “Advanced” tab and check the box next to “Turn off advanced text services.” That will remove ctfmon from startup. BTW after you select “Details” if you select “Language Bar” you can permanently get rid of that annoying Language Bar toolbar. Of course if you use the functions supported by the Language Bar and ctfmon then you are stuck with it running in the background.

I found that in another forum i can't find the source at the moment,but it worked for me and i logged it away
in a text file for future reference. 
-tinyvillager (July 30, 2006, 06:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Many thanks for the tip...

Carol Haynes:
Useful tip - I had often wondered what ctfmon was - it always reappears when you remove it from startup. I knew it was from MS so just ignored it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version