topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 9:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Print spooler missing after win 10 update. Saved by old freeware!  (Read 3852 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
About the same time as the latest update from Microsoft was installed, I also installed Nitro 12 Pdf editor. So when I realized that I no longer was able to print to pdf, I could not be sure if the error was made by Microsoft or by Nitro. When searching for a solution, I stumbled upon the old freeware from techsupportall.com Print Spooler Repair Tool. I say old, because the text is only saying >for WindowsXP , Vista, windows 7, windows 8.<, but fact is it has been updated for Win 10 as well.

It is also saying >Please run this tool in Safemode mode<, but I ran it as it was, and everything went well.

https://www.techsupp...-service-is-missing/ > scroll down to Method 1 > Automatic Fix it > Download Print-Spooler-Repair-Tool.exe Freeware (2308 KB)
The page is very informative and includes a lot of relevant tips (Method2 > Manual Steps)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 01:54 PM by Curt »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Interesting, but I find step 1 in method 2 quite troubling. In that granting full control to the everyone group on a system file (or any file for that matter) is a total no-no. Default permissions for spoolsv.exe only grant read and read & execute permissions to the System account...only the TrustedInstaller account has full control.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@SJ
I wrote them and half quoted you:

I am writing you because of an error in https://www.techsupp...-service-is-missing/ under >Method 2,  Step 1< where you tell the reader to >>Click on Permission Tab. > Click on Change Permission. > Click on Add Button > Type Everyone, then click on OK, and then check mark all the boxes of allow row,<<. This is very very wrong! It is not needed and certainly not wanted, for everyone to have permission to Write! Default permissions for spoolsv.exe only grant Read and Read+Execute permissions to the System account. Only the TrustedInstaller account should be allowed to have full control, not everyone! Solution: Uncheck >Write<

Time will tell their response.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,
Thanks for contacting us about this matter.
Yes, it is true that the "TrustedInstaller" account is enough grand full permission. But on some computers, we have seen that the  "TrustedInstaller" is not listed on the list that's why we have given "everyone" option there. But we'll correct it and give another solution for the  "TrustedInstaller" account not seen.

Thanks for informed us about this.
Rajesh
-TechsupportAll

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
(Solved) Print Spooler Service is Missing / Not Listed (Fixing Guide)
Last updated Jun 19, 2018
-techsupportall

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh dear... I played with their updated instructions and they're still a bit off. Just typing TrustedInstaller doesn't find the account. Typing NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller does, but if you're on a domain you will need to switch the account search location to LM because the account does not exist at the (default) domain level.

*Shrug* ...Damn pesky details.