topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: URLSnooper can't sniff wirelessly on Windows 10?  (Read 11353 times)

Supermann

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
URLSnooper can't sniff wirelessly on Windows 10?
« on: June 05, 2018, 12:19 PM »
Hi all, all the network adapters turned up nothing. I am using the latest 2.42.01 and WinPcap. This has been frustrating. I used to remember wired connection would work, but then my new laptop doesn't even have a wired connection - it's all wireless to reduce the size of the laptop. Autodetect adapter turns out FAILED. I did a quick search and it seems to be a persistent issue which was once fixed four years ago in 2.34.01? But I recall it never worked for me. Thanks,

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: URLSnooper can't sniff wirelessly on Windows 10?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 02:37 PM »
There is no reason wireless shouldn't work, but i know there was some issue with some wireless cards and winpcap driver -- was it intel wireless cards?
The winpcap people are the ones who may know about a workaround.

Supermann

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 02:54 PM »
There is no reason wireless shouldn't work, but i know there was some issue with some wireless cards and winpcap driver -- was it intel wireless cards?
The winpcap people are the ones who may know about a workaround.

Yes. It's Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC3165. Based on WinPcap FAQ at
Q-16: Which network adapters are supported by WinPcap?

A: The WinPcap device driver was developed to work primarily with Ethernet (10/100/1000) adapters. Support for other MACs was added during the development, but Ethernet remains the most tested one.
The overall situation is:

Windows 95/98/ME: the packet driver works ok on Ethernet networks. It works also on PPP WAN links, but with some limitations (for example it is not able to capture the LCP and NCP packets). FDDI, ARCNET, ATM and Token Ring should be supported, however we did not test them because we do not have the hardware.
Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/Win7/2008R2: the packet driver works ok on Ethernet networks. As for dial-up adapters and VPN connections, read Q5 and Q6.  As in Win9x,  FDDI, ARCNET, ATM and Token Ring are supported, but not tested by us.
Wireless adapters: these adapters may present problems, because they are not properly supported by the Windows Kernel. Some of them are not detected, other don't support promiscuous mode. In the best case, WinPcap is able to see an Ethernet emulation and not the real transiting packets: this means that the 802.11 frames are transformed into fake Ethernet frames before being captured, and that control frames are not received.

For real wireless capture, CACE Technologies offers the AirPcap adapter, specifically designed to sniff 802.11 traffic, including control frames, management frames and power information. AirPcap at this time is the only solution for capturing raw 802.11 traffic with WinPcap. More details can be found on the AirPcap product page.

TeeJay

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Try Npcap?
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 04:48 PM »
I am using a Lenovo Ideapad 330 with Intel Dual Band Wireless AC3165 and Windows 10. I had the same problem as Supermann getting URL Snooper to recognize my wireless adapter or a working alternative. On several tries, URL Snooper's Auto Determine could not find an adapter to support capture. One one occasion, URL Snooper selected a Microsoft adapter option, but that adapter did not work. Manually selecting the various adapter options also did not work. In researching this issue, I came across Npcap. I solved my problem by installing Npcap and selecting the WinPcap Compatible option to replace WinPcap. When I next ran Auto Determine, URL Snooper chose "Network adapter 'Microsoft' on local host - rpcap://\Device\NPF_{omitted}." This adapter has been working fine to capture URLs from browsers and applications. URL Snooper still does not see the AC3165 adapter. Bear in mind that I am not an expert user, so I cannot offer a technical explanation or even confirm that Npcap made the difference. I am just happy I don't have to figure out how to use Wireshark!

https://nmap.org/npcap/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 05:01 PM by TeeJay »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 10:55 PM »
Thanks for posting TeeJay, that's great news about NCAP winpcap-compatibility option -- it's the first I've heard about it.  :up:

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 06:08 AM »
Thanks for posting TeeJay, that's great news about NCAP winpcap-compatibility option -- it's the first I've heard about it.  :up:
i also told, much shorter, but told :-)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 09:40 AM »
You're right, you did and I missed it the first time.  My ears are getting old :(

BartS1975

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 07:54 AM »
I am using a Lenovo Ideapad 330 with Intel Dual Band Wireless AC3165 and Windows 10. I had the same problem as Supermann getting URL Snooper to recognize my wireless adapter or a working alternative. On several tries, URL Snooper's Auto Determine could not find an adapter to support capture. One one occasion, URL Snooper selected a Microsoft adapter option, but that adapter did not work. Manually selecting the various adapter options also did not work. In researching this issue, I came across Npcap. I solved my problem by installing Npcap and selecting the WinPcap Compatible option to replace WinPcap. When I next ran Auto Determine, URL Snooper chose "Network adapter 'Microsoft' on local host - rpcap://\Device\NPF_{omitted}." This adapter has been working fine to capture URLs from browsers and applications. URL Snooper still does not see the AC3165 adapter. Bear in mind that I am not an expert user, so I cannot offer a technical explanation or even confirm that Npcap made the difference. I am just happy I don't have to figure out how to use Wireshark!

https://nmap.org/npcap/

This solution does not work here. :( After selecting "Auto Determine", I still get the error, and there ist no adapter (other than Windscribe, but this is my VPN) that works. Look at my list:

https://s19.directup.../200320/zw29lyri.png

Do you have a hint?