ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft to buy GitHub in $7.5B all-stock deal

<< < (4/13) > >>

Tuxman:
Also, many projects and even programming languages (talking to you, Go!) natively integrate GitHub as their package repository. That means that not only the official source would be gone for a while - large parts of the software world wouldn't even compile anymore. That's a bad sign.

wraith808:
Also, many projects and even programming languages (talking to you, Go!) natively integrate GitHub as their package repository. That means that not only the official source would be gone for a while - large parts of the software world wouldn't even compile anymore. That's a bad sign.
-Tuxman (June 05, 2018, 12:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

But, the largest factor to me- is that Github's fault?  Did they put pressure on as the largest DVCS repository in the space?  If they didn't, that's a bad choice on the part of the community rather than the company.  I use Bitbucket for projects whenever I can- Atlassian has a more transparent profit stream, and a more transparent reason for offering the service.  I try to never use a product that I don't pay for, and if I do, I try to use something backed by someone that I know has a profit stream that I understand.  Github is not very transparent, and I don't even know where a 7.5B valuation (other than for the platform implementation) comes from.  That, IMO, is more problematic than who owns it.

Edvard:
Microsoft Corp. on Monday announced it has reached an agreement to acquire GitHub, the world’s leading software development platform where more than 28 million developers learn, share and collaborate to create the future.

--- End quote ---

https://www.codeproject.com/News.aspx?ntag=19837497654716777&_z=12372277

from CodeProject News

Edvard:
Aw crud, I just posted about this in the Living Room.  Shoulda searched first. Crap.  :(

Edvard:
Never mind, Wraith808 already posted about this yesterday, and I didn't catch it:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=45702.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version