ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft to buy GitHub in $7.5B all-stock deal

<< < (3/13) > >>

rgdot:
Business system, whether you want to call it capitalism or not, is a joke. 100% agreed with mouser and 99% with Tuxman ( :D ) 7.5 billion for GitHub is one example of a farcical money flow that is dominated by banks/stocks/fake cash.

wraith808:
What is your definition of monopolies?

What would happen if GitHub would close in thirty minutes and why?
-Tuxman (June 04, 2018, 02:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Many projects would lose their source that they maintain online.  But not all projects, but only those that chose to go with Github.

As far as definitions:

exclusive control of a particular market that is marked by the power to control prices and exclude competition and that especially is developed willfully rather than as the result of superior products or skill
--- End quote ---

Is it exclusive?  Do you have to use it?  Are they controlling prices in the market?  I think the answer to all of these is no.

Fair is fair.  What is your definition of monopoly?

Tuxman:
My definition of monopoly is a large company (which GitHub undoubtedly is) which has a large enough market share in its specific niche (which GitHub undoubtedly has) that using a different product has a severe impact on your own success.

wraith808:
My definition of monopoly is a large company (which GitHub undoubtedly is) which has a large enough market share in its specific niche (which GitHub undoubtedly has) that using a different product has a severe impact on your own success.
-Tuxman (June 04, 2018, 06:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's not a definition of a monopoly.  That's a definition of a market leader, sure.  But that's only the definition of a success.  As long as they don't leverage it to impede others' success, they are not a monopoly.  Innovate better, use varying business practices, do whatever you need to operate in order to succeed (though I don't like the litigatory practices that some use) in the market, but don't blame it on the fact that people like the other product better.

Deozaan:
While I agree more with wraith808's definition, I do have to opine about the fact that for almost all intents and purposes, it's almost as if Github were the only hosted DVCS that exists in the world. So many other services and platforms that support a DVCS seem to only support git, and only support Github. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version