ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Browser? With Roboform?

<< < (5/6) > >>

tinjaw:
JeffK,

If your reasons for wanting to put it on the navigation toolbar are simply personal preference, I can 100% understand your desire to do so. However, if they are not for reasons of personal taste, may I ask why you desire the buttons to be on the navigation toolbar? Maybe there is some other options that would meet those needs?

I have also not searched for an extension to add buttons to the navigation bar, for any reason. You can customize toolbars, and you can add buttons to the navigation toolbar, so such an extension probably exists out there somewhere. Maybe a "custom button" extension that can host bookmarks, bookmarklets, macros, etc.

Ruffnekk:
It's amazing how quickly one can go from being a mature computer user to being a newbie again.  Is there an option or extension in Firefox which reopens the tabs from a previous browsing session automatically when starting a new one, a la Opera or Maxthon?

Thanks for any help,

Jeff
-JeffK (July 30, 2006, 10:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you use FireFox 2.0 or higher, it's a built-in option now. It works great, for single and multiple tabs.

(http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/features.html)

dk70:
If you can live with Bookmarks folder try this to avoid having to rename icons:

/* Line below hide icons for folders - the way I use it, skip it if not useful */
.bookmark-item[type="menu"] > .toolbarbutton-icon {display: none !important;}

toolbarbutton.bookmark-item:not(.bookmark-group):not([type="menu"]) > .toolbarbutton-text {display: none !important;}

/* Change space around bookmark toolbar icons */
toolbarbutton.bookmark-item:not(.bookmark-group):not([type="menu"]) > .toolbarbutton-icon {
margin: 0px -2px 0px 0px !important;
padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px !important;}

Throw above in a userchrome.js file, nothing to it should you not know about this http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#css Practically every pixel can be customized but I dont know how to move bookmarks. Some extension can probably do it.

I use Google Bookmarks more and more btw, mainly because of Gmarks https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2888/ You can move that about as you please. I have a button for same icons I have in bookmark bar - which is not used much at all. Loads of options, import/export - organizing, Google Reader integration http://groups.google.com/group/GMarks/web/features I have some problems with caching of icons, a bit messed up but works fast enough. Firefox just dont seem to cut it after xxx bookmarks, Gmarks I use for special purposes, taking load off Firefox - or something.

To do what you request with Gmarks select Display tab, focus on Gmarks Toolbar, set name for label/folder (I use toobar!) - tick show icons only. Bookmark what you want to see with chosen label and place Gmarks toolbar where you want. Possible to have subfolders even.

Other services can do the same but I prefer Gmarks/Google since it is only about bookmarks and works fast.

How about moving navigation buttons to bookmarks bar? Save pixels for browsing.

JeffK:
To cut to the chase, all I really want is to place a single button on the navigation tolbar which opens www.google.com in a new tab.  I don't want the bookmarks toolbar showing all the time.  One can move the whole of the bookmarks to another toolbar but not just one at a time.  It is just a matter of personal preference.

Thanks for your responses.  Any further ideas would be welcome.  I have searched extensions for this functionality and found a few work arounds but I thought there might be something especially designed to do this.

Jeff

tinjaw:
Set your home page to www.google.com.  Set the options to open your home page when a new tab is opened. Customize your navigation bar to add the open new tab button.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version