topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The Best Browser? With Roboform?  (Read 19056 times)

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Best Browser? With Roboform?
« on: July 29, 2006, 04:13 PM »
Thanks to the generosity of superboyac, I am now the proud owner of a new copy of Roboform.  However since I have been using Opera I will have to work out which browser I should use so that I can use Roboform.

I already have Avant on my machine because my wife and daughter use it and I use Avant at work.

I know this is probably repeating other discussion on the forum but I am interested in members ideas as to what to do.  Avant?  Firefox?  Maxthon? IE? Other?

Also BTW if I add a bookmark to say IE does it automatically appear in the IE based browsers?  Firefox?

Thanks for your patience,

Jeff

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Best Browser? With Roboform?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 04:20 PM »
Honestly, opera would be perfect if it allowed roboform, but it does not. However, for the best browser with roboform, I have to say maxthon. Firefox is nice and works with roboform, but half of the dialog based authentication methods do not work. Also, some sites are not filled properly due to bugs in the gecko engine. So, as I said, maxthon is the best browser or browser shell to use with roboform, if you ask me :)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 06:19 PM »
Personally I have not noticed any probs with RoboForm and Firefox (which I use almost exclusively these days).

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 10:29 PM »
It's amazing how quickly one can go from being a mature computer user to being a newbie again.  Is there an option or extension in Firefox which reopens the tabs from a previous browsing session automatically when starting a new one, a la Opera or Maxthon?

Thanks for any help,

Jeff

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 10:36 PM »
sessionsaver should do this. Also, it looks like ff 2.0 will add this feature as a built in one.

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 10:43 PM »
Thanks Josh.  I'll have a look.

Jeff

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 04:39 AM »
I gather that a favouite added in IE will also appear by default in IE based browsers such as Avant or Maxthon.  Is there a re way to keep a separate list of bookmarks in one or more of the other browsers.

Jeff

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2002, 06:50 PM »
separate list? How do you mean? Firefox or opera share favorites list.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 06:29 PM »
Problem is that all IE based browsers use the internet options to configure the Favourites folder. (Well the ones I have tried) So changinging favourite settings in one will probably affect all IE based browsers in the same way.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 07:02 PM »
Maxthon and avant allow you to change the favorites folder and make it independent of IE

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 12:48 AM »
Thanks, I didn't realise that.  I'll give it a go.

Jeff

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 05:50 AM »
I found it in Maxthon, but couldn't in Avant.  Can you give me a clue where it is?

Jeff

PitrPaulus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 07:57 AM »
 :) Hello Guys, I use FireFox with Roboform and on most sites it works perfect. But...
Does anybody know how safe it is to use Roboform?  :( If a hacker hacks(..) your main-password for RoboForm, ALL other inlogs are open for him/her.....

(But it IS very comforable working wih RoboForm!).

Greetings from PitrPaulus.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 08:58 AM »
Roboform is as safe as you make it, just like any other password based encryption. If you use a weak password, your files can be easily hacked, however if you use a strong password, you should be fairly safe. I recommend a password that contains at least 2 upper case, 2 lower case, 2 numerals and 2 special characters, plus has a length of at least 10 characters. That will vary up the password well enough for most purposes. Heck, that is the DoD Password requirement so it must be worth something.

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 02:35 AM »
I've had a good fiddle with Firefox and installed several extensions which make it a lot more customised to my preferences.  However I can't find an extension which will add a button to run a program from within Firefox (actually I did find one but it was in a complex application and I want something simple).  I simply want to be able to run Thunderbird (not the default client) from within Firefox.  Any ideas?

Jeff

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 03:18 AM »
External Application Buttons (Modified Version)

Thanks, kimmchii.  I had found an old link to that extension but it was dead.

Jeff

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 05:12 AM »
Hello everyone. 

I have just reloaded Firefox after a few months using IE.  I had to reinstall Windows so it's taking me some time to get everything bach the way it was.

I am looking for an extension that will link a web address to a toolbar button ie I want to click on a button (icon) to open a new tab and go to www.donationcoder.com or www.google.com.

Can anyone help me please?

Jeff

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 05:44 AM »
JeffK,

Here is what I do. Enable the bookmarks toolbar, if it isn't already. Then install the Favicon Picker 2 extension. Then bookmark a site in the normal manner and choose for it to be on your bookmarks toolbar. Then set the Favicon for that bookmark to the icon you want. After you have set the icon, delete the name of the bookmark and the icon will remain.

Here is a screenshot of a portion of my Firefox setup showing this.

[attachimg=#1][/attachimg]

And yes, I am using Roboform as well.

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 05:52 AM »
tinjaw, that worked for me, but what I would really like to do is put a button for the website on the navigation toolbar rather than the bookmarks toolbar.

Jeff

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 08:23 AM »
JeffK,

If your reasons for wanting to put it on the navigation toolbar are simply personal preference, I can 100% understand your desire to do so. However, if they are not for reasons of personal taste, may I ask why you desire the buttons to be on the navigation toolbar? Maybe there is some other options that would meet those needs?

I have also not searched for an extension to add buttons to the navigation bar, for any reason. You can customize toolbars, and you can add buttons to the navigation toolbar, so such an extension probably exists out there somewhere. Maybe a "custom button" extension that can host bookmarks, bookmarklets, macros, etc.

Ruffnekk

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Uhm yeah...
    • View Profile
    • RuffNekk's Crypto Pages
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 12:13 PM »
It's amazing how quickly one can go from being a mature computer user to being a newbie again.  Is there an option or extension in Firefox which reopens the tabs from a previous browsing session automatically when starting a new one, a la Opera or Maxthon?

Thanks for any help,

Jeff

If you use FireFox 2.0 or higher, it's a built-in option now. It works great, for single and multiple tabs.

(http://www.mozilla.c...irefox/features.html)
Regards,
RuffNekk

Programming is an art form that fights back.

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007, 12:44 PM »
If you can live with Bookmarks folder try this to avoid having to rename icons:

/* Line below hide icons for folders - the way I use it, skip it if not useful */
.bookmark-item[type="menu"] > .toolbarbutton-icon {display: none !important;}

toolbarbutton.bookmark-item:not(.bookmark-group):not([type="menu"]) > .toolbarbutton-text {display: none !important;}

/* Change space around bookmark toolbar icons */
toolbarbutton.bookmark-item:not(.bookmark-group):not([type="menu"]) > .toolbarbutton-icon {
margin: 0px -2px 0px 0px !important;
padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px !important;}

Throw above in a userchrome.js file, nothing to it should you not know about this http://www.mozilla.o...ort/firefox/edit#css Practically every pixel can be customized but I dont know how to move bookmarks. Some extension can probably do it.

I use Google Bookmarks more and more btw, mainly because of Gmarks https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2888/ You can move that about as you please. I have a button for same icons I have in bookmark bar - which is not used much at all. Loads of options, import/export - organizing, Google Reader integration http://groups.google.../GMarks/web/features I have some problems with caching of icons, a bit messed up but works fast enough. Firefox just dont seem to cut it after xxx bookmarks, Gmarks I use for special purposes, taking load off Firefox - or something.

To do what you request with Gmarks select Display tab, focus on Gmarks Toolbar, set name for label/folder (I use toobar!) - tick show icons only. Bookmark what you want to see with chosen label and place Gmarks toolbar where you want. Possible to have subfolders even.

Other services can do the same but I prefer Gmarks/Google since it is only about bookmarks and works fast.

How about moving navigation buttons to bookmarks bar? Save pixels for browsing.

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 01:42 PM »
To cut to the chase, all I really want is to place a single button on the navigation tolbar which opens www.google.com in a new tab.  I don't want the bookmarks toolbar showing all the time.  One can move the whole of the bookmarks to another toolbar but not just one at a time.  It is just a matter of personal preference.

Thanks for your responses.  Any further ideas would be welcome.  I have searched extensions for this functionality and found a few work arounds but I thought there might be something especially designed to do this.

Jeff

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 03:24 PM »
Set your home page to www.google.com.  Set the options to open your home page when a new tab is opened. Customize your navigation bar to add the open new tab button.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 03:26 PM by tinjaw »