ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WINRAR free this sunday 30th July 2006

<< < (8/9) > >>

db90h:
I have to agree with db90h on the state of the LZMA source - it's frigging ugly, some of the worst I've seen in a long time. I took a five-minute look at it and decided that I had better things to do than utilizing LZMA compression. The GPL license sucks, and so does the majority of code released under it.
-f0dder (July 30, 2006, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

And if you think the LZMA code is messy, take a look at 7-zip ;p. And, yep, he uses COM style interfaces (pure virtual base classes), but not the COM standard itself. It would be trivial to expose it as a proper COM object, why he doesn't who knows.

tsaint:
I'm in 2 minds about winrar's free offer.
a. Very nice of them and good luck to you if you got through.
or
b. Very annoying to have wasted so much time trying to get to their page, only to find that it wasn't possible (for me) to get to the next step of having my details accepted. If they are genuinely happy to give away v3.51, why not have the offer open over a week or so? Just a bloody pr stunt that wasted my time.
.... if my students cause me hassles today I'll opt for (b), if they're cooperative etc I'll choose (a)

zridling:
If you're on Usenet daily, then WinRAR is the only choice. Squeez also creates RAR files, but the RAR format remains proprietary. And by the way, not only is Squeez slick, it can do just about everything you'll ever want from an archiver... for a price. I also like the 7z format, but the 7-Zip archiver app has not improved its usability for several years, and that's aggravating.

mwb1100:
There's another link to get a free WinRAR 3.51 license (non-upgradeable).  This site does not seem to be as bogged down as Sunday's:

http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0233.001

I have no idea how long it will stay valid.

mitzevo:
There's another link to get a free WinRAR 3.51 license (non-upgradeable).  This site does not seem to be as bogged down as Sunday's:

http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0233.001

I have no idea how long it will stay valid.

-mwb1100 (August 05, 2006, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for this, got my free license  :-[  :)  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version