ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The quest for a completely silent PC

<< < (3/4) > >>

Target:
I did that and then put the box over the computer. Now the machine is still very noisy and I can't reach the switch to turn it off.
-cranioscopical (December 05, 2018, 11:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

clearly someone forgot the duct tape...

The quest for a completely silent PC

IainB:
or cut the corrugated cardboard out of the side of a box...
-Target (December 05, 2018, 08:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
I did that and then put the box over the computer. Now the machine is still very noisy and I can't reach the switch to turn it off.
-cranioscopical (December 05, 2018, 11:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
I had a similar problem and fixed it by wiring up a switch in parallel with the first switch, as an extension, inserting the new switch itself into the outer cardboard box. Still the PC was too noisy, so I hit on the idea of layering a slightly larger cardboard box around the one just done, and giving that an extension switch also. I got the idea whilst showing my son a set of nested Russian dolls. After 8 carboard boxes and extension switches,  the PC was noticeably much quieter - almost silent actually.

I was so pleased with the result that I went off downstairs to the kitchen to brew up a triumphal cup of tea to celebrate my success. Unfortunately, I had left the PC switched ON and hadn't thought about the potential heat build-up with all those nested cardboard boxes, and the whole thing must have caught fire whilst me and the missus were enjoying the triumphal cuppa tea. By the time we came out of the kitchen there was smoke curling down the stairway and the fire had just about consumed the upper storey of our 2-storey house. We called the fire brigade and fled outside. When they finally damped down the last embers the house had been pretty much levelled.
Fortunately we were well-insured and safe and the pets also escaped unharmed, but once we moved into our new house I never seemed to have much enthusiasm for restarting that project after that experience, and I always get a funny feeling in my tummy when I look at Russian dolls now.

mateek:
As technology advances PC's will look like living beings, and we'll all remember to poke air holes in the cardboard boxes. :mad:

My poster board mention has the caveat of no leaking capacitors. 

cranioscopical:
I always get a funny feeling in my tummy when I look at Russian dolls now.
-IainB (December 06, 2018, 02:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
You get a funny feeling in your tummy? Spare a thought for the Russian dolls, they have much more to stomach, stomach, stomach, stomach, stomach, stomach...

IainB:
I always get a funny feeling in my tummy when I look at Russian dolls now.
-IainB (December 06, 2018, 02:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
You get a funny feeling in your tummy? Spare a thought for the Russian dolls, they have much more to stomach, stomach, stomach, stomach, stomach, stomach...
-cranioscopical (December 06, 2018, 08:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's a rather insightful comment. Is that what they call "duodenal insight"?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version