ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Comparative Review of Writers' Tools (INITIAL DRAFT)

<< < (7/24) > >>

Dormouse:
I submit the different sections and get redlining separate.
Having them as one document with sections would not be tenable.  At least for me. 
And submitting the one doc for redlines and keeping the comments relevant- not sure he would have appreciated that.  He seemed to appreciate having them segregated a lot more.  -wraith808 (May 21, 2018, 10:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think that you've found that this is a structure that works best for you. There may be other ways, but this suits your thinking the best and makes you more productive.
That gives you a very specific set of needs; other people may find other ways of achieving the same result.

wraith808:
I submit the different sections and get redlining separate.
Having them as one document with sections would not be tenable.  At least for me. 
And submitting the one doc for redlines and keeping the comments relevant- not sure he would have appreciated that.  He seemed to appreciate having them segregated a lot more.  -wraith808 (May 21, 2018, 10:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think that you've found that this is a structure that works best for you. There may be other ways, but this suits your thinking the best and makes you more productive.
That gives you a very specific set of needs; other people may find other ways of achieving the same result.

-Dormouse (May 21, 2018, 11:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

I fully get that, which was why I was asking.  I just never seem to write a whole work professionally- it's always parceled out in sections to different writers.

Dormouse:
I have now done the table for Atomic Scribbler. I found it attractive, but it felt like a light program, and I'm not sure how it would stand up to a lengthy or heavy piece of work; this impression may be false. Some irritations, and felt a little slow.

I'm not sure about future development. It has just been made free with only the SmartEdit add-on providing an income for the developer. He'd said that 92% of his SmartEdit sales came from the Word version and has just released SmartEdit Pro just for Word. There has to be a question of how much future development the income from Atomic Scribbler and its add-on will justify. The add-on for Atomic Scribbler is fairly basic, but a lot of self published books would have benefited from it.

wraith808:
I have now done the table for Atomic Scribbler. I found it attractive, but it felt like a light program, and I'm not sure how it would stand up to a lengthy or heavy piece of work; this impression may be false. Some irritations, and felt a little slow.

I'm not sure about future development. It has just been made free with only the SmartEdit add-on providing an income for the developer. He'd said that 92% of his SmartEdit sales came from the Word version and has just released SmartEdit Pro just for Word. There has to be a question of how much future development the income from Atomic Scribbler and its add-on will justify. The add-on for Atomic Scribbler is fairly basic, but a lot of self published books would have benefited from it.

-Dormouse (May 21, 2018, 02:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

https://www.atomicscribbler.com/Blog/Post/IntroducingSmartEdit/

He addresses a lot of it in that post, and on the forums.  He's actively on the forums and soliciting improvements, and uses the application himself.  He was just dissatisfied at the adoption rate as a paid application.  I don't think the development of the program is at risk, personally.  And am looking at using it as the basis for a lot of my development because I quite like how open it is compared to Scrivener.  He's even provided me with help for a supporting application that I'm looking at developing to get items from his format into markdown for compatibility (especially as I use Sublime Text for a lot of my editing currently)

https://forum.atomicscribbler.com/

Dormouse:
He does have previous though.
Page Four was abandoned. Then Atomic Scribbler was a paid app. Recently there was a new version (after iirc a period of slow development) with a promise to keep going more this time. Then there was an offer/price reduction; and then suddenly it's free. And now there's a 5 day discount on the SmartEdit add-on.

I'm not convinced that a lot of users of a free program are going to spring for an expensive add-on after trying it for 10 days.

As a program, I like quite a lot about it, but it feels unfinished. Expected features absent. And I can't help but be concerned about why it's slower than expected when running the very small sample file. It should be faster than Scrivener, OneNote and doogiePIM, but it's slower. That's why I worry about what would happen if it were dealing with all the multiple sections of a novel.

I give it easy to understand and looks attractive. I like the ribbon buttons and tabs. But I lack the confidence to make a large commitment.

I hope you are right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version