ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Comparative Review of Writers' Tools (INITIAL DRAFT)

<< < (2/24) > >>

Dormouse:
Suggestion:
Add WriteMonkey.

http://writemonkey.com/

It may deserve its own category.
-Tuxman (May 16, 2018, 04:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
Will do  :)

wraith808:
I think of writemonkey more as a strict editing tool rather than a writer's tool.  I use it alongside my writing tools- I love the distraction free writing, and the ability to play music while you're there.  But managing projects and such, I find that it falls flat.

And on another note, your continued posting in this thread reminds me that I need to get on the stick and write my own LOL.

Dormouse:
But managing projects and such, I find that it falls flat.-wraith808 (May 18, 2018, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Project management is coming in the next release of the v3 beta

wraith808:
But managing projects and such, I find that it falls flat.-wraith808 (May 18, 2018, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Project management is coming in the next release of the v3 beta
-Dormouse (May 18, 2018, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's welcome to hear.

Ath:
Tried installing WriteWayPro on Windows 10 1803, and although installation seemed to go well, 2 ocx files where not registered correctly (most likely caused by the 'old' installer used), so WriteWayPro wouldn't start.
I fixed this following these steps:

* Open a Command prompt in 'Run as Administrator' mode
* change to the SysWOW64 directory: CD ..\SysWOW64
* register the 2 components by entering these commands:
--- ---regsvr32 Codejock.Controls.v13.4.0.ocx
regsvr32 MSCHRT20.OCX
* Close the command prompt: exit
* WriteWayPro should now should start as expected :)
Edit:
After the above exercise I tried to register the product to have the free Pro version, but that has been unsuccessful so far, stating the error message "Unable to connect to the WriteWay website, please try later.". I suspect that another ocx isn't correctly registered, or not working as expected on Win10 (1803), but it cal also be due to a website issue. (I (re)registered all ocx's in the SysWOW64 directory using regsvr32 but still no cigar)
After reading the "WriteWay FAQs and Issues Support document", it seems that the Compatibility mode needs to be set to XP mode, and Run as Administrator, but that also hasn't solved this issue yet.
The registration page in the screenshot on the site looks different from what I'm seeing (mine doesn't have the First Name/Last Name fields, but I used the code shown there), so there may be a different cause altogether. I'll just wait and see what happens until after it expires...
If all else fails I'll e-mail 'm for support.

On a related note: The YouTube showcase and instruction videos (including the WriteWayPro page) also seem to have vanished, only alternative videos can be found.

Guess this are the side-effects of using a no longer actively supported product...

Edit 2:
After installing WriteWayPro in a virtual WinXP SP3 instance, the installation issues didn't appear there, but the application registration issue persists, so that's most likely a website related issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version