topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 9:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: desktop sharing tool  (Read 6171 times)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
desktop sharing tool
« on: May 13, 2018, 08:35 PM »
anyone got any current recommendations for a desktop sharing tool? 

looking for something simple - pretty limited use, ie desktop support for my inlaws (so potentially lots of calls, but only 1 or 2 users)

A search on DC throws a number of suggestions but most posts are quite old or have since disappeared

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: desktop sharing tool
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 09:35 PM »
I've just been using Skype as of late.  It works well enough for my purposes.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 11:01 PM »
I've just been using Skype as of late.  It works well enough for my purposes.

yeah, but that opens up other possibilities that I don't want to have to manage (and once the cats out of the bag there's no getting it back in)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 11:17 PM »
If both ends have Microsoft accounts there's Quick Assist (Windows 10) or Remote Assistance (pre-10 which didn't require a Microsoft account IIRC).

https://www.howtogee...eshoot-a-friends-pc/

Haven't tried Quick Assist but have previously used Remote Assistance and it worked fine for what I was doing.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 12:18 AM »
If both ends have Microsoft accounts there's Quick Assist (Windows 10) or Remote Assistance (pre-10 which didn't require a Microsoft account IIRC).

https://www.howtogee...eshoot-a-friends-pc/

Haven't tried Quick Assist but have previously used Remote Assistance and it worked fine for what I was doing.

hadn't heard of that one before, but that sounds just the ticket  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 12:24 AM »
TeamViewer is free for personal use and easy enough for anyone to use. Both parties run it. Your in-laws would run it and tell you the code it shows on their screen, which you then type in to connect to them.

Have your in-laws download TeamViewer Quick Support, meanwhile you'll need the more fully featured TeamViewer package.

They also allow more advanced setups like unattended access, etc. So you can connect remotely without anyone being there to give you permission.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 01:43 AM »
AnyDesk is quite similar to TeamViewer, because a lot of the original developers left TeamViewer to work on that instead. AnyDesk doesn't bother you with on-screen messages/mails to upgrade to the newest version. TeamViewer does not do backwards-compatibility so well. And that is by design as they almost force you to upgrade to their newest commercially licensed (expensive) products and it could happen that you cannot take over the computer you need/want, because of too different versions between your own computer and the one you try to take over.

Can you still spend quite some time having the person on the other end of the line download the latest TeamViewer and install it and possibly open up ports on their firewall, etc. I have been using the free version of Anydesk for almost 2 years now and while the software gets regular updates, there is hardly any "pushing" to newer versions going on. A much more relaxed stance, which I can appreciate. Likely also the reason why those devs left TeamViewer in the first place.   

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 05:00 AM »
AnyDesk is quite similar to TeamViewer, because a lot of the original developers left TeamViewer to work on that instead. AnyDesk doesn't bother you with on-screen messages/mails to upgrade to the newest version. TeamViewer does not do backwards-compatibility so well. And that is by design as they almost force you to upgrade to their newest commercially licensed (expensive) products and it could happen that you cannot take over the computer you need/want, because of too different versions between your own computer and the one you try to take over.

Agree. I have to give support to my clients many times a day and AnyDesk has proved its worth, as of now. Previously I used TeamViewer and Remote Desktop, but now AnyDesk is the go to for all my support sessions. Small, fast and without any unnecessary bells and whistles.

Regards,

Anand

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 05:21 PM »
thanks guys! I shall have to look into anydesk :Thmbsup:

FWIW when I googled TeamViewer there seemed to be a few question marks around it, hence my query

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 05:19 PM »
AnyDesk seems to show a minimum of $80 a year.

There is lots of use where Skype and TeamViewer are excellent, for free.

So, in a light usage, or modest usage where you use Skype anyway, what would justify the 80, or is there some secret free?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 06:07 PM »
AnyDesk seems to show a minimum of $80 a year.
-Steven Avery (May 22, 2018, 05:19 PM)
was looking at it the other day, but (disclaimer) haven't tried it:
down at the bottom of the home page, above the download link, it says:
"AnyDesk is free for evaluation and private use. Try today!"
https://anydesk.com/remote-desktop
Tom

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 05:44 AM »
"AnyDesk is free for evaluation and private use. Try today!"
I have switched to this vs TeamViewer (or rather I am in the process). And for private use there is no charge.

I just wish they had a one-time fee for private use to help support them. I would pay a chunk to show my appreciation, but I can't justify a significant yearly fee for what I do with it. Maybe I will complain to them, buy one year, and then cancel after that.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast