ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > DC Website Help and Extras

Fundraiser 2018 Money - Help Decide Where it Goes

(1/7) > >>

mouser:
We raised about $13,200 during the fundraiser in April. Time to decide how the money should be allocated.

Here are my thoughts:  I would like us to set aside $4,800 x 2 = $9,600 to pay for the next 2 years of hosting.
That leaves $3,600.

I think we want to allocate some of that to give to coders who hang out in the Coding Snacks area to encourage their work in writing code based on user requests, and maybe other coders who share their software and for whom dc is their main "home".
I suggest $1,000.    I have no idea how to divvy it up, but maybe some of the DC moderators and coding snack "consumers" can decide?

That would leave $2,600.

Speaking of moderators, I think it would be nice to give a little of the money to the moderators who take time away from their day to ban spammers, etc., so they can at least go out for a meal or drinks.  Maybe $500 total?

Lastly I would like us to try an experiment of "funding" one or two dc members who are interested in writing small but regular/consistent write-ups about news in software, technology, etc.  Maybe $1,000 x 2? = $2000?

Maybe set aside $100-$200 to help pay shipping costs for me to send out some custom painted 3d cody models..

Those are just my thoughts, I am happy to do whatever the community wants.

rgdot:
Other than hosting and site costs the priority should be the coders. I would increase the coders amount, that includes yourself of course. They create 'loyalty' to the site and concept of DC.

mouser:
I would increase the coders amount, that includes yourself of course.
--- End quote ---

DC receives a small but regular (though long-term unpredictable) stream of donations year round, and many of these are sent to me directly in the form of donationcredits; furthermore, I get some small number of commercial license purchases for my software through the site.  And DC is not my full time job.  In short, I do not need to receive any of the fundraiser money.

wraith808:
I would increase the coders amount, that includes yourself of course.
--- End quote ---

DC receives a small but regular (though long-term unpredictable) stream of donations year round, and many of these are sent to me directly in the form of donationcredits; furthermore, I get some small number of commercial license purchases for my software through the site.  And DC is not my full time job.  In short, I do not need to receive any of the fundraiser money.
-mouser (May 01, 2018, 09:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think that rgdot was talking about 'need' :Thmbsup:

You do a lot- and a lot that people don't see.  We just appreciate that!   8) :up:

mouser:
You do a lot- and a lot that people don't see.  We just appreciate that!
--- End quote ---

I appreciate that.

My time working on site stuff waxes and wanes.  This last year has been quite intensive because of the move to the new site content management system and all the custom coding I've had to do for it.  But now that that's done life will be easier going forward.  I hate that it's taken so much time away from coding on applications, but it had to be done.  Now I will have more freedom to work on new projects and improve my existing apps.

Anyway, as I said, I *do* get money from the site -- both from donations and from the occasional site license purchase of my software.  After expenses are paid, I am not shy about receiving donations and money from the site, especially if I've worked hard recently on the site and my software, and when it's clear that donations are coming in for my applications.  And not since the very early years have I had to take money out of my own pocket to pay for DC expenses -- we've been bringing in more than enough to pay for expenses, even as MS Windows has been losing some popularity.  As long as DC can pay for itself and I can adjust the time I am able to devote to it in order to balance that with time spent earning a living, I will be happy.

In addition, one of the things that I coded with the new site this year was a complete statistics module to track the money coming into the site.  I will be sharing complete information about money raised throughout the year, in an attempt to be more open about the money coming into the site.

One of the happiest surprises for me, in addition to the very healthy fundraiser, was that the changes to simplify and streamline the giving away of free license keys, has not resulted in a precipitous drop-off of donations, as I feared; to the contrary, it looks like the more straightforward process and much clearer presentation provided by the new license key page, has resulted in a modest but noticable increase both in frequency and amount of regular donations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version