ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Public WiFi

<< < (2/3) > >>

skwire:
Best practice?  Pretend that it's all open, and don't do anything that you don't want anyone to see.-wraith808 (April 25, 2018, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly.  With the right equipment and setup, it's exceedingly easy to MitM attack an HTTPS stream.

Disclaimer: I'm a systems engineer with Fortinet, one of the world's largest cybersecurity hardware vendors.

Stoic Joker:
Best practice?  Pretend that it's all open, and don't do anything that you don't want anyone to see.-wraith808 (April 25, 2018, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly.  With the right equipment and setup, it's exceedingly easy to MitM attack an HTTPS stream.

Disclaimer: I'm a systems engineer with Fortinet, one of the world's largest cybersecurity hardware vendors.

-skwire (April 25, 2018, 01:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm with these guys - There is no such thing as privacy in public. Or on the internet period depending on which part of the food chain is want to eyeball your knickers...

4wd:
He also mentioned mobile chat apps, ones that implement end-to-end encryption should be fine ... provided they are open source and thus subject to review, (eg. Signal).

However, I suspect the number of dating apps that fall under that umbrella would probably be approaching zero.

Could always use a VPN to obscure data from the employer.

wraith808:
-4wd (April 25, 2018, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wouldn't.  In many jobs they view using an unregistered VPN as you are doing something wrong.  Even if the policies don't say that, it can get a side-eye.

4wd:
-4wd (April 25, 2018, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wouldn't.  In many jobs they view using an unregistered VPN as you are doing something wrong.  Even if the policies don't say that, it can get a side-eye.
-wraith808 (April 25, 2018, 11:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Pretty sure that's not going to apply in this case.

At work the company offers public wifi after registration with your email.-kalos (April 25, 2018, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's a publicly accessible WiFi, all they could really do is make it a condition of use when you connect to it that you won't use a VPN.

The only way they could enforce it is through traffic analysis I would think.

Doesn't really matter what kind of strange look they give you, they're the ones that provided the free public access.  Unless there's something specifically barring employee use and VPNs, they really have no comeback.

Besides, can they really complain when an employee shows good security protocol by using a VPN to access a public WiFi network?

Personally, I've yet to access a public WiFi where I couldn't use a disposable email address and then use a VPN, most T&C are limited to don't engage in actions which are detrimental to anyone else and trying to score a one night stand doesn't really come under that heading.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version