topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Best Clipmate replacement (particulary if I can export my current database to it  (Read 7505 times)

DougWeller

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I  love clipmate with its folders and ability to merge clips, but it would be nice to have something still supported. My real concern however is that something goes wrong I can't fix and I lose my database entirely. I've read the earlier thread "Where has Clipmate Support Gone?"
Thanks.
Doug

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Try my Clipboard Help and Spell: https://www.donation...board-help-and-spell

Despite its name, it's a full fledged clipboard tool.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Try my Clipboard Help and Spell: https://www.donation...board-help-and-spell

I (and a legion of others) second that, having adopted CH+S after my previous utility became moribund. CH+S has both obvious benefits and hidden depths.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I actually use ClipboardFusion.  CH&S is a great application, but for my uses, CF works better (clipping across several machines/devices, and removing formatting from clips are the largest ones)

DougWeller

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I actually use ClipboardFusion.  CH&S is a great application, but for my uses, CF works better (clipping across several machines/devices, and removing formatting from clips are the largest ones)

I'd forgotten that I use removing formatting from clips all the time. That's pretty important to me, along with rapid searching. ClipMate also can't search for S'Mores, which is a problem for me but probably not most users!
Doug

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ClipMate also can't search for S'Mores, which is a problem for me but probably not most users!

Ok, you have to expand on this.  Or not, but that would be mean! :)

DougWeller

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ClipMate also can't search for S'Mores, which is a problem for me but probably not most users!

Ok, you have to expand on this.   Or not, but that would be mean! :)

It can't parse the apostrophe in it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Doug

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Ok, you have to expand on this.   Or not, but that would be mean! :)

It can't parse the apostrophe in it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Doug

Oh!  I thought you mean S'Mores specifically  ;D

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@DougWeller: Are you able to define in more detail:
  • (a) what your requirements are to replicate what you already do satisfactorily using ClipMate, and
  • (b) what extra features you might like to see/use in a new clipboard manager?

You might include things such as, for example:
  • Manually tagging/categorising specific clips.
  • Auto-tagging/categorising of clips, according to user-defined logical rules.
  • Managing image clips in collaboration with image viewers/editors.
  • Coupling text with images.
  • Combining text clips.
  • Manually manipulating/changing/checking text in clips.
  • Automatically changing text in clips.
  • Stripping formatting from text clips.
  • Keeping formatting/rich text
  • Sophisticated searching of clips.

Some clipboard managers are likely to be better than others at addressing some of these requirements, and whether a clipboard manager would be "good" for you personally would very much depend on your peculiar requirements - in the present and as they might be in the longer term (one's requirements are not necessarily fixed).

For example, after years of searching, I have still not yet found the "ideal" clipboard manager for me, though I have tried most of them and have settled for two that can meet 80% or more of my requirements. Some of the clipboard managers I have trialled have even enabled me to discover some "new" requirements, when I have learned what the possibilities were from trialling these clipboard tools. So my requirements are slowly developing/expanding and becoming more demanding of the technology.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 11:41 PM by IainB »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
it would be nice to have something still supported.
Try my Clipboard Help and Spell

^ it would probably appear more "supported" if the thumbnails on the homepage, were more than just thumbnails, and if anything on the homepaqe was younger than a year.

Edited:
-sorry, the thumbnails are working in Edge. It was my old Firefox that was the problem.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 05:41 PM by Curt »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've tried other clipboard managers, but none has tempted me to switch from Clipmate, which I've used and loved for a zillion years, more or less.  Two features I especially value in Clipmate are its "Power Paste" feature that enables me to insert a series of clips automatically, and, above all, the ClipBar, which shows you the clip currently set to be pasted (usually the most recent clip). All you have to do is glance at the ClipBar. You don't have to open anything, mouse over anything, or do anything else except glance at the ClipBar sitting at the bottom of your browser. For me, the absence of either of those two features is a deal breaker.

At one time, I was moderately impressed by a program called ClipCache Pro. It had several features that Clipmate lacks, including support for Unicode.  It also offered a Power Paste feature, though I found it didn't work as well as it does in Clipmate. And ClipCache Pro didn't have a ClipBar. After trying for a couple of months to switch from Clipmate to ClipCache, I gave up and returned to using Clipmate exclusively. As I still do.

DougWeller

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I definitely require folders and the ability to drag and drop between them. Why don't all such have this?
Combining text clips.
Manually manipulating/changing/checking text in clips.
Automatically changing text in clips.
Stripping formatting from text clips.
Keeping formatting/rich text
Sophisticated searching of clips  Clipmate fails on some searches
Join clips
I'd very much like the ability to export folders in plain text, even better in a format I could export to some sort of database.

I like powerpaste but could live without it.
You know, I don't use the Clipbar but I think I should and might end up seeing it as vital.

Doug

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
with mouser's CHS:
the last clip copied is with formatting (but can easily be pasted as plain text). Older clips are all plain text.
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
May be of use, to save a rehash of past discussions about CHS functionality or Clipboard Management requirements generally:
^^ Oops, sorry, I should've piped up about that too, as the ability to show recursive contents (inheritance) is something that I sometimes want and had always thought was a rather nifty feature in CHS (once I "discovered" it for myself).    :-[
In fact, I find CHS to be a seriously nifty tool - e.g., for manually categorising/tagging, auto-categorising and sifting of clips - but the directions for doing things like that can sometimes tend to be sparse or, at best, somewhat cryptic, leaving it up to the user to dig around and find out by trial-and-error. CHS is not all that "user-friendly" in that regard, so it is sometimes a case of "every man for himself".
One of the reasons I put so much effort into documenting that set of "requirements" was that I was trying to retrospectively deduce and document what and why existing features had been built-in to CHS, a bit like Sherlock Holmes.
@mouser - by the way, there is still this: User Requirements for CHS
It could be used to save repetition by different/new CHS users. I put quite a bit of effort into that. Have not updated it in ages as no-one seemed interested. I think I left it as public and editable.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
with mouser's CHS:
the last clip copied is with formatting (but can easily be pasted as plain text). Older clips are all plain text.
When I say stripping formatting, I mean taking out tags and such also.  Very useful when copying text from code